Chibineko's Reviews > Sea Glass

Sea Glass by Maria V. Snyder

Oct 28, 10

Read in December, 2009

I loved this book & actually started reading it immediately after the first book in the Glass saga- 'Storm Glass'. I enjoyed this book, but I have to admit that only one thing spoiled it somewhat... Opal's behavior.

This book picks up immediately (like seconds after) the ending of 'Storm Glass' & finds Opal attempting to prove that Ulrick & the dastardly Devlen have switched bodies. Unfortunately nobody believes her & multiple groups are trying to gain control over Opal's glass messengers, which means that Opal is constantly in danger from being kidnapped or imprisoned.

The main thing in this book that kind of killed my enjoyment somewhat was the way Opal acted in this book. If Yelena was a Mary Sue in the second book of the Magic series, then Opal is an Anti-Sue in her second book. Much of her actions in the book comprise of her mistrusting & mistreating those around her. I understand that she goes through a lot, but she really was a pill in this book. Then there's the romance between her & Kade. It just didn't really interest me that much, especially when I compared it to the relationship between Yelena & Valek. Opal just wasn't an interesting character around Kade & he didn't do anything to really stand out either.

Other than that, I greatly enjoyed the book & I breezed through it in a few hours. If you can get past Opal's behavior & the lackluster relationship, the book is incredibly addicting. I'll definitely be getting the next one when it comes out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Glass.