Chibineko's Reviews > Infected

Infected by Scott Sigler

Oct 28, 10

Read in January, 2010

I'm lucky enough to have both read the book as well as listened to the audio version of this. If you've only read the book, I have to say that you are missing out on a treat by not hearing the podcast version of this. Sigler is a master at reading his work and this book is no exception.

The book follows a cast of characters as a mysterious disease begins to befall the citizens of the United States. Random people are committing atrocious acts of violence, things that are supposedly out of character for them. The only shared trait between these cases is that they all have the appearance of triangles on their bodies somewhere. As head scientists Margaret tries to discover what these things are as well as why it's occurring, failed football player Perry begins to notice a strange rash appearing on several parts of his body...

I honestly can't say enough good things about Sigler's work. I love the characters & the storyline. Sigler knows how much to put in each book to keep us going & interested. I also liked how well thought out the science of the disease was. I can't go into too much detail because I don't want to spoil the plot, but it was rather believable sounding. (I'm no scientist, though.)

Now this part of the review is about the podcast version, which I believe is similar (if not identical) to what was released through the publishing company. Sigler rocks on reading his own books. The production values are incredibly good & I like that Sigler appears to record some of the parts separately. Rather than just read straight through, Sigler adds in sound effects, voice effects... the whole works. (And believe it or not, his later readings of his work are even better.)

If you like horror, sci-fi, or just want a good read, try this book. Sigler honestly deserves to be noticed more than he is now. Why his stuff hasn't been turned into a series of hit Hollywood movies is beyond me. (Although this book has been optioned!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infected.