Chibineko's Reviews > Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1

Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1 by Seimu Yoshizaki

Oct 28, 10

Read in April, 2010

I have to admit, I can't quite make up my mind as to how I feel about this manga. I like it, but I don't know if I like it as much as some of the other similar "episodic slice of life" books that are out on the market right now.

The series surrounds a used book store that specializes in manga. The checkout girl is the granddaughter of the store owner & is a focus of interest for the resident manga otaku that works there. (Mostly because he knows if he marries her, he'll inherit the store.) People of all types & ages come into the store, some looking to unload manga, some looking for answers for their own problems. Either way, they'll find what they're looking for here.

The artwork for this is rather cute & I like how it manages to be expressive & cute without going for the cutesy-cutesy type of look that seems to abound in most manga nowadays. It also avoids being the "ultra serious" artwork that exists on the other end of the spectrum. No, the manga artist of this work tries to be as realistic as possible without forgetting to inject some cuteness into the volume.

I also liked the interaction between the shop characters. The interaction between the main characters & the non-major ones is nice, but at times it tends to be a little too stereotypical to really be anything more than a passing interest or as a way of building up the characters' mojo.

This isn't a bad book by any stretch. I just recommend that if you can, that you read it in your local bookstore first. This won't appeal to all audiences out there & it isn't as broadly likable as Genshiken was. It's good, but I can guarantee that if I were to lend my copy to all of my manga loving friends, that only about half (or less) would like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1.