Arlene's Reviews > The Sky is Everywhere

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Oct 28, 10

bookshelves: read-2010, ya-contemporary, favorites, young-adult
Read on October 28, 2010

Sometimes you must lose everything to find yourself.

Jandy Nelson’s debut novel The Sky is Everywhere is an absolute must read for YA readers. I breezed through this book in one sitting, and I’m still going over in my heart and in my mind all the emotions this book made me feel about the complexities of grief and loss.

Surprisingly enough, there were moments this book had me laughing out loud… literally guffawing and I’m not one prone to bursting out in hysterics, but Lennie’s analogies and mental conflict, especially how she chose to express herself were truly hilarious at times. But at the same time, I’d become grounded and found myself sighing in sadness over her hurt and guilt. She took me along her journey of loss, confusion, betrayal, and self discovery; and refused to let go until she finished her story and went on her merry way. I was hooked on her every word and could probably listen to what she had to say for like ever!

Everything she shared about herself and her feelings served a purpose and not one word was wasted. In her own special way she came across as unintentionally funny, unabashedly snarky and unapologetically honest in what she expresses, feels and struggles with. She’s definitely a contender for my favorite female fictional character

In this book, Lennie shares her story of her life at seventeen immediately after the sudden and tragic death of her older sister Bailey. On her sister’s last day, Bailey was standing in their room bugging Lennie to share her opinion on what she should wear, and Lennie carelessly responded I don’t care what you wear. Those were the last words she ever spoke to her sister that she loved dearly. It made me think… how many times have I had a careless response like I don’t care… to one of my sisters? How would I feel if those were the last words I ever spoke to one of them??? But as Lennie showed us, in the same world where something as horrible as a sister dying, something as wonderful as falling in love can happen. This book hit close to home for me in so many ways it felt surreal.

I just have to mention a few characters that surprisingly won me over quite quickly. I loved Lennie’s best friend Sarah. She’s loyal and honest and who wouldn’t love a girl who suffers from an ole macdonld’s version of turrets syndrome and sports shitkickers!?! I’ve recently acquired an immense liking for any characters that wear shitkickers. =) The other character I have to mention, is bat bat bat Joe. He was just full of awesomeness! Regardless of his reaction to a choice that Lennie made, I never lost hope in him that he’d eventually bring down his barrier and forgive. I struggled with Toby for a portion of the book, but one of the last scenes where Lennie found a special something at her sister’s grave site, made my heart ultimately ache for him. Those are just a few characters that I had to mention, but this story if filled with gems that will pull at your heartstrings the entire time and the ending is one that will leave you uplifted and filled with hope.

Great book that I’m so glad I had the chance to experience, and one I have no reservations in recommending to others.

Favorite Quotes in the Book

I’m huddled into the corner of the couch. I have no use for talking. I’d just as soon store paperclips in my mouth. - Lennie aka JL

It’s as if someone vacuumed up the horizon while we were looking the other way. - Lennie aka JL

Our tongues have fallen madly in love, gotten married and moved to Paris… Heathcliff and Cathy have nothing on us. - Lennie aka JL

I’ve never met anyone as heart broken as JL. I want to make her feel better.. want to be around her all the time… it’s crazy… it’s like she’s on full blast and everyone else is just on mute. - bat bat bat Joe

Each time someone dies, a library burns. - Anonymous

My heart is yours.
I hear your soul in your music.
I belong to you.
- Lennie aka John Lennon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky is Everywhere.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Awesome review Arlene. Loving those quotes. This book is at the top of my to get list :)

Brooke I love love loved this book! So gorgeous.

~Tina~ I think this is one of the books Alexa said for me to read, but I can't remember.
Awesome review hun! I'll need to pick this up sooner or later. I have soooo.many.dame.books to catch up on. See what re-reading HP will do to you? Not that I'm complaining;)

message 4: by Alexa (last edited Oct 29, 2010 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa I love this book! Awesome review! :D

lol Yeah, I remember mentioning this book to you, Tina. XD

~Tina~ Oh, good, it was you;) XD

Arlene Thanks girls!

This book was filled with so much awesomesauce! I found it on Alexa's 5 star rating, so I had to try it. =)

I loved the lust-o-meter analogy. Had me cracking up.

I hope you try the book Nic and Tina. I think you'll like it.

message 7: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Awesome review Arlene! I'll definitely have to give that one a try soon!

Arlene Thanks Jess! I hope you like it. :)

Kristy Loving those quotes!!! I believe this needs to move up on my To-read list!!
Loved your review!

Arlene Thanks Kristy. I hope you love it as much as I did. I'm bummed I borrowed this from the lib... Don't want to give it back. :)

Kristy ahh, it's a BUY ME book then!!!! ;)

message 12: by Albie46 (new)

Albie46 Ooh, I have this book! And I've been wanting to read it for a long time, just waiting for the right moment. Might have to be now!

Arlene LOL, IMO Kristy... YES! :)

Albie, yay! I can't wait to hear what you think.

message 14: by Albie46 (new)

Albie46 Arlene wrote: "LOL, IMO Kristy... YES! :)

Albie, yay! I can't wait to hear what you think."

I also just realised you read 'how this ends'. Not sure if that's the title. I have this one, that one, and of course Before I fall to get through. Too many good books, too little time!

Arlene Yes, I read How It Ends. Very good book IMO. You have some good books waiting for their turn Albie. If only there were more hours in the day.

I can't wait to see what you think of them.

message 16: by Jade (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade I just finished it and loved it. I can't believe it took me this long to read it. I had it sitting on my TBR for a long time before giving it a go. It was lovely. I looked like a loon at Starbucks, I was laughing so loud.

Arlene @Jade That's great! I loved this story!! LOL There are some books I just can't read in public because I'll look like a fool. I totally get ya!