Chibineko's Reviews > アリサ 1

アリサ 1 by Natsumi Ando

Oct 28, 10

Read in October, 2010

Fans of Kitchen Princess will be surprised at the change of pace for this manga, since KP was predominantly a lighthearted & cute manga for the most part. Ando takes the reader on a whole new journey in this series.

Ever since Tsubasa & Arisa were separated by their parents' divorce, they've sworn to keep in touch. When they finally reunite years later, Tsubasa eagerly jumps at the chance to pretend to be her pretty, popular, & perfect sister. However, she quickly discovers that her seemingly perfect sister has some not so pretty secrets that she's been hiding & when Arisa attempts suicide, Tsubasa vows to uncover the truth. But with a sinister person pulling the strings behind a mysterious wishing giving scenario, it's going to take everything Tsubasa has in order to keep from becoming "King's" next target.

All I can say is WOW. I liked Kitchen Princess, but I would never have expected this to come out of Ando's mind. This is one twisted storyline & I absolutely love it. This made a perfect accompaniment to my latest volume of Higurashi. While it doesn't look like it will go to the depths that Higurashi will, it is a refreshing new addition to the "twin swap" genre. Don't let the cutesy artwork fool you- this series is all about providing a mysterious thriller.

If you're worried that this series might be too dark, then don't worry too much. While there are subjects here such as suicide, bullying, & revenge, this isn't along the same lines as Life or Higurashi. It's in the same tone, but so far it isn't taking it to the same heights that the other series are. I'd put the age group for this in the 10+ range, although it really does depend on the maturity level of the readers.

Even if you just read it in the bookstore, you've GOT to check this series out. It's one of the best thriller series to come out this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read アリサ 1.