Hannah's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Apr 07, 14

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from December 06 to 11, 2010

Cassia lives in the Society where all your choices are made for you by the officials: what you eat, where you work, when your curfew will be, what activities you can do during free time, when you die, even who you marry is determined for you. During your seventeenth year in the Society you are Matched with your future mate. Cassia is lucky because her Match Day falls on her birthday. It’s very rare that anyone has actually met their match before the Match Day banquet. Cassia, however is the exception. She is matched with one of her best friends and neighbors, Xander. He is everything any girl would want and she already knows everything about him, so she dosen’t really need the microcard that she is given to learn about her match. Out of curiosity she plays the mircocard when she is alone to see what the Society wants her to know about Xander, but as she watches Xander’s face disappears and the face of another boy she knows appears, her friend Ky. The Society doesn’t make mistakes and when the official tells her that her mircocard contained a mistake Cassia starts to wonder about a lot of things, mostly about Ky, the boy she could have been matched with if only he wasn’t an Aberration. But as Cassia starts to learn more about her friend Ky the Society is doing more and more things to make life hard or difficult for Cassia and her family. Will Cassia take the safe path or will she take the road less traveled?

I’ve been waiting for Matched for awhile now and just recently a teen lent me their Advance Reading Copy. I’m incredibly glad she did. This book was so fantastic that I read it in two days, stopping only because sleep overpowered me. This is a fantabulous dystopian novel that made me think … can you have freedom without choice? Fans of the Hunger Games will love this new series by Condie. If you are looking for a good futuristic book then pick this one up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.