Kyle's Reviews > Obama's Wars

Obama's Wars by Bob Woodward

Nov 04, 10

Read from October 28 to November 04, 2010

It never ceases to amaze me how Woodward can get his sources to talk so openly. This book is no exception, and it reads like a political thriller.

Woodward takes us through the quagmire of Afghanistan that the Bush Presidency has left for Obama, and how the president has to take in and appreciate what the military brass is advising while maintaining his duty as civilian commander-in-chief. The military wants to have a 15-year timeline -- and that is on top of the 9 years we've already been there. Obama knows we can't afford that, and there is no political will behind such an endeavor with little chance of attaining what the military wants to do.

Obama repeatedly has to negotiate points he's already made to the military that just can't seem to take "no" for an answer. I was upset when it was announced we'd begin moving out of Afghanistan in 2011; I thought it was too long and we needed to get out now. But after reading this book, I greatly appreciate what Obama is up against and how he was strong in not backing an unending war.

It made me very proud that Obama is the president and is the right person at the right time for this job. It also shows how intelligent, knowledgeable and strong a civilian commander-in-chief must be; a Palin or Huckabee presidency would be such an unmitigated disaster as they'd have no base from which to challenge the military or their own advisors (see the GWB presidency).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obama's Wars.