Savannah Andrea Smith's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, sci-fi, part-of-a-series, whoa
Read from February 25 to March 11, 2011

Review originally posted on my blog:

I'm really confused about my feelings for this book. At first I really didn't think I'd like it. The beginning was pretty slow and I didn't know how I liked the protagonist, Lena. It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did it really redeemed itself.

I immediately liked Alex as a character. He was everything from handsome to sweet and charismatic. I love how, as a reader, we discover more and more about him with Lena, like we're slowly unwrapping a great gift together and everything gets better and better.

Lena is a very strong character, and in a likable way where she's not overly stubborn or jaded. She was just real and I loved how she felt the deliria taking over. It was a beautiful process to watch her transform and develop as a person and discover herself. Not to mention how PHENOMENALLY written this book is. Just sayin'.

One complaint I have about the book is the profanity and some of the content. As a conservative reader, I wasn't too keen on the bad words in some of the scenes, although it was hardly the worst I've read.

Also, the ending is left wide open for a sequel, unsurprisingly. I finished the book hungry for more, which is kind of depressing because the next book won't be out for another year. It's sad to think I almost put this one down indefinitely from the start. It takes a while to get into it, but is definitely worth the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.