Lindsay's Reviews > Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes

Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard

Oct 28, 10

bookshelves: library-book, memoir, nonfiction
Read in October, 2010

"When I spotted him at a seminar on a hypertext version of Finnegan's Wake, I knew he had to be European." So begins Elizabeth Bard's attraction to a future lover in her 2010 offering Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes. The man in question happens not only to be European, but French to boot. What follows is a witty and well-written chronicle of a relationship with that man, his culture, family, and, of course, the food.

I am sure many of us have been nervous about meeting a significant other's family, but I could not imagine a trial by edible fire. Love is indeed the stuff of bloody meat and smelly cheese in France, and for an American girl looking for a love to last, she will face many obstacles on her way to sitting at that table. The relationship is chronicled by food, but not in an overbearingly obvious manner; particular dishes make appearances in each chapter the same way a beloved cousin or grown-up sibling pops in to say hello. Like the food itself, these eating rituals (along with family and social etiquette) add texture and culture in a way that fascinates Bard and also makes her wonder what her true role is and where her place in the world lies. Bard struggles with her identity as an individual - the person she always planned on being has not just made a right turn, but at times, the road to that very definite vision has disappeared completely. Mix that in with moderate discussions of U.S. vs French viewpoints on everything from grocery shopping to career planning, it is little wonder that Bard did not flee for the kindness of her homebase of New York City at times.

Particularly poignant to me on a personal level are recollections of her father and commentary on her mother. Like Bard's, my parents are divorced, and very often, I caught myself nodding in agreement when she made certain observations. The good thing about being an adult is that you start seeing your parents as people; the bad thing is that you start seeing them as people. It's a catch-22 that is confounded further by painful memories.

This book is wonderfully written, although things get tied up rather quickly in the end. I would recommend it for any woman looking for a good 'real' love story that's built on equal parts of frustration, adjustment and compassion. Anyone who has every felt out of step, out of time or like a stranger in a place they love will connect with it. Of course, any cook will appreciate it, too - I got my copy from the library, but I plan on purchasing my own copy for the amazing recipes alone.

Overall: A-

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunch in Paris.