Sandra's Reviews > An Old-Fashioned Girl

An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott

F 50x66
Jan 18, 2008

Recommended to Sandra by: Bookclub
Recommended for: Most everybody looking for a lift
Read in February, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was picked as a book club read for February, and I have to admit I wasn't all that thrilled to start reading it. I'm not a horribly big fan of Louisa May Alcott to begin with. However, it exceeded my expectations and made me question as to why I wasn't a big fan of the author. I think it stems back to being forced to read her works in High School and thus not enjoying the experience. Funny how that works.

So the premise of the story is that Polly goes to visit her cousins--a point hard to follow since they're never referred to as her cousins in the book, but as merely friends--who live in the city. Polly, having been raised in the country, has a hard time adjusting to the socialite life she has been thrown into.

Over time, her positive attitude and continual optimism wins over even the coldest of hearts.

Although the book was wordy in spots, it did turn out to be a good read and the message was clear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Old-Fashioned Girl.