Keiki Hendrix's Reviews > I Lift Up My Soul: Devotions to Start Your Day with God

I Lift Up My Soul by Charles F. Stanley

Oct 28, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction-devotionals
Read in October, 2010

From one of the most trusted voices in Christianity today, Charles F. Stanley, comes I Lift Up My Soul: Devotions to Start Your Day With God.

Being a fan of Charles Stanley and his teaching ministry, InTouch, I was anxious to read and review this new Devotional. If there is anyone living in our times that truly deserves the title saint, it is Dr. Charles F. Stanley.

This is a yearly Devotional with one message for each day of the year and contains a wealth of wisdom and instruction packed into short daily messages.

A large majority of Devotional books are purchased as gifts to give a friend or loved one for a special occasion or event. This Devotional is a perfect choice as a gift but you may want to buy and extra copy for yourself.

What I enjoy most from the teaching of Dr. Stanley is his no-nonsense way of teaching God’s word. He is not known for his great swelling emotional messages. He is better known and admired for his rock-solid teachings.

What I look for in a Devotional is first the insight of the author. Does this author offer good counsel and insightful wisdom? Or, is this author revealing lessons learned from particular viewpoint that I am interested in learning more about? In Dr. Stanley’s newest Devotional, I hit the jackpot.

The format for Devotional books vary. In this Devotional, the reader finds first title, a Scripture reference (the context the key verse), the key verse, the devotion, and a short prayer. Many of the devotions include illustrations and references to testimony of public figures. All in all, it is very well-balanced.

If you are looking for a Devotional for personal use or as a gift, this is an excellent choice. I generally donate all the books I receive for reviews to our Church. Not this one, I will keep this one for my personal use. A kind thanks to Thomas Nelson for providing it for review.

Disclaimer:
The review copy of this book was provided free of charge by Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Reviewed by: Keiki Hendrix
Reviewed for: Thomas Nelson Publishers
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Lift Up My Soul.

message 1: by Marja (new)

Marja Meijers Thank you Keiki, for this review!