Ann's Reviews > Boo

Boo by Rene Gutteridge

Nov 30, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: books-about-books, celebrities, christianity, do-gooders, homemaking, religion, indiana, christian-fiction, prejudice, thanksgiving, country-small-town
Read from October 28 to November 27, 2010

**Read for S524: Adult Readers' Advisory** Oh man...I am so not cut out for Christian fiction. I thought it would just be casual mentions of church life, and moral living, but I didn't understand the references to a lot of this kind of Christianity. But whatever, I belong to a religion that has a lot of terms that other people don't understand, so I can get past that. I think Mormon fiction is freaky too, so I'm all about equality of religious culture weirdness. But I guess it bothered me that Boo is considered evil by the Christian community (or at least, the only "true" Christian in the book) because he writes horror novels. It took me forever to figure out that he was supposed to be a bad person based on this fact, and that he can no longer write once he converts (which was instantaneous, and shallow, to be frank). But I can also deal with that too. I can also look past the fact that a 30-year-old woman lives with her father, and he can tell her that she's not allowed to wear makeup. But I can't look past how terrible of a person the female protagonist actually was, when she's supposed to be the moral backbone of the town. She is SO horrible to Boo at the beginning of the book, but she's supposed to be this pillar of the community. I know that she's supposed to change in throughout the story and learn that she was wrong, but I had a hard time seeing someone described as Christian that behaved that way - and, ultimately, the reader is supposed to think that she is right because Boo himself views her as right in her hatred of his profession. She repeatedly acts on the basis of a moral high ground, but is really just being a jerk. And her perfection...ugh. She could do absolutely no wrong. She bakes her own bread, she single-handedly makes Thanksgiving dinner for dozens of guests, she visits the elderly, she wears quilted vests with turtlenecks (seriously, that was supposed to be a good thing?). Ugh, actually, was there ANY character with any redeeming value? Maybe the minister? It just seemed like a town full of manipulative people, with very few "lovable" quirks.

I chose this book for class because it takes place in Indiana and because I liked the premise of a spooky town with eccentric characters, but there was such a lack of depth in every aspect of this book (the characters, the religion, the formation of the town, the thought put into the ways the tourism industry could work in the town, the relationship between the romantic interests, etc.) that it was completely boring and obnoxious to read. I'm giving it an extra star just for the idea and because it wasn't quite as bad as The Amber Room or Mary, Mary (Alex Cross, #11), but it was BAD.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boo.

10/31/2016 marked as: read

Jackie Jameson Oh my dear! Liked, liked, love your reviews hat is it that supposed "Christian authors" get held to a different standard than WRITERS?

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars