Corrina's Reviews > Touching My Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey to the Top of Everest

Touching My Father's Soul by Jamling Tenzing Norgay

Oct 28, 10

When Jon Krakauer writes "I learned alot" in the introduction to a book, I definitely want to read that book. And so this wonderful book begins... by the end of it, you feel you have gone up Everest not once but several times - you relive the tragic 1996 season, you find a new dimension of the Norgay/Hillary first ascent, and you finally understand the backstory of Chomolungma and the spell she has cast over the world. My favorite lines in the book are, from western climbers: "You don't conquer Everest. You sneak up onto the summit and then you get the h*ll out of there"... and the sherpa viewpoint: "you must climb Chomolungma as if you are climbing into a mother's lap - reverently, and with permission"... I know which attitude I prefer, and so is this book about consulting the lamas, meditating at the camps, and not losing touch with the vortex of life and death that is Everest. Anyone with an affinity for Buddhism should read this book.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching My Father's Soul.