Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)'s Reviews > Old Magic

Old Magic by Marianne Curley

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: own-on-paper, 2011-read-list, class-young-adult, genre-fantasy, genre-romance
Read from July 04 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

Loved it! Couldn't put it down.

This is a story I adored from beginning to end. For once the girl was the brave one, and the guy was the one who wouldn't take peer pressure or any risks for what he believes is good.

The mythology and time-orientation were great. This is a book about magic, but also about history. There were great references to the Middle Age culture and English history, all mixed up with witchcraft and present-day teen issues.

I loved Kate's character - brave, confident, self-sufficient, believing in the unusual. Jarrod had lots of issues, most of them ticking off the reader - like his inability to stand against the "popular crowd", his disbelief of all things paranormal, even when he's causing them, his treatment of Kate. But that was the idea - seeing him grow and change, and beginning to appreciate what's special in life and to stand up for it.

Absolutely loved the ending, and though I started the book thanking the author it wasn't the first of yet another series, I closed it wishing there was at least a novella that followed behind.

For those who've read Anne Osterlund's Academy 7 this one should be on the read/to-read list, and for the fans of Old Magic - try Academy 7 - I think these books have a certain spark in common, though one is set in the past, the other - in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Magic.