Lacey Boland's Reviews > The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales

The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm

F 50x66
Oct 28, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading

I feel as if I've always known the Grimm's fairy tales having grown up reading and watching various adaptations. However, reading The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales, I've realized that many of the original versions of these popular fairy tales are foreign to me. Many of these tales (for children!), in fact, are surprisingly dark and frightening. It's interesting to see which parts of these tales have changed through years of retelling, and which parts have remained the same.

Reading this book, I've also found out more about the brothers Grimm and the origin of the tales themselves. Rather than author the stories, the brothers were actually linguistic researchers who traveled throughout the countryside in Germany recording popular tales from peasants and villagers. The brothers also researched tales from other countries and cultures and found many similarities. It's fascinating to think about how so many popular children's stories and fables, characters and themes, are shared across the globe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales.

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha James every story has a fairy tale hidden in between the lines you just have to kno how to find it and make it stand out dont be afraid of a unknown tail some stories r ment not to be figrued out so dont be most pleased by the fact that this book wont get to you in any way