Katie - The Literary Files's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Nov 30, 10

bookshelves: favorites, reviews
Read from November 10 to 19, 2010

There's been so much positive buzz surrounding Lauren Oliver's latest release, Delirium, that I jumped at the advanced reader's copy. I started this book the night I was approved for the galley and finished shorty after. I was only a couple sentences into Delirium when I knew that this book was going to be absolutely amazing.

Lauren Oliver's writing is genius. It's extremely powerful and focused on emotions. I found myself having to wipe my eyes multiple times during this book. Her descriptions are flawless and the character development is perfection. It was so easy to get lost in Lena's world and put yourself in her shoes. Delirium has everything I could possibly ask for in a book: action, romance, friendship and adventure.

I completely adored Lena. At first I was a little annoyed at how set in her ways she was, but when she started to open her eyes to all the possibilities is when I really appreciated her. There's a Lena in all of us. She's a little lost, a tad rebellious and completely courageous. Lena is a breath of fresh air to the young adult genre.

Alex. What can I say about Alex other than he was perfect? I guess I could say Alex was just what Lena needed. He opened her eyes to such an amazing new world. He was funny, strong and an amazing listener. Then there's Hanna, Lena's best friend, who is quirky and fiercely protective. I feel as if these characters' were a part of me. I became so close to each of them while reading Delirium.

The ending... Oh my goodness the ending! I definitely did not see it coming at all! It was the perfect lead in for Pandemonium, which I cannot be released soon enough!

Amazing Quote:
"I have a secret. It will kill me. And I don't care."

Characters: 5/5
Creativity: 5/5
Voice: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Impact: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

Note: This book deserves way more than only 5 stars! Delirium is on a whole other level than anything I've ever read. By far my favorite book of all time.

Lauren Oliver is one of the greatest writers of our time. You would be absolutely crazy not to pick up this writing masterpiece. I could go on forever will all the positive things to say about this book. You'll laugh, cry and discover some things about yourself along the way. Delirium will be released on February 1, 2011. The first thing anyone should do on this date is head to a bookstore and buy this book... along with a box of tissues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Katie - The Literary Files Liked

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”

Lauren Oliver
“It's so strange how life works: You want something and you wait and wait and feel like it's taking forever to come. Then it happens and it's over and all you want to do is curl back up in that moment before things changed.”

Lauren Oliver
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”

Lauren Oliver
“Everything looks beautiful. The Book of Shhh says that deliria alters your perception, disables your ability to reason clearly, impairs you from making sound judgments. But it does not tell you this: that love will turn the whole world into something greater than itself.”

Lauren Oliver
“I wish I could close my eyes and be blown into dust and nothingness, feel all my thoughts disperse like dandelion fluff drifting off on the wind. But his hands keep pulling me back: into the alley, and Portland, and a world that has suddenly stopped making sense.”

Lauren Oliver
“I run for I don't know how long. Hours, maybe, or days. Alex told me to run. So I run. You have to understand. I am no one special. I am just a single girl. I am five feet two inches tall and I am in-between in every way. But I have a secret. You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope,and without fear. I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“Everyone is asleep. They've all been asleep for years. You seemed ... awake.' Alex is whispering now. He closes his eyes, opens them again.'I'm tired of sleeping.”

Lauren Oliver
“I just want to be normal, like everybody else."
"Are you sure that being like everybody else will make you happy?”

Lauren Oliver
“Lena: I just want to be happy. I just want to be normal, like everybody else.
Alex: Are you sure that being like everybody else will make you happy?”

Lauren Oliver
“Life isn't life if you just float through it.”