Mandy's Reviews > The Secrets Sisters Keep: A Novel

The Secrets Sisters Keep by Abby Drake

Nov 16, 10

bookshelves: firstreads
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I liked this book. I wouldn't say the characters were multi-faceted, each one had a distinct persona and carried it throughout the book. I grew to like Edward. He definitely is not a perfect person, but he has come to a realization about what is important in his life and he tries to help his nieces do the same.

Spoiler Alert
The one character's story I am probably the most unhappy about is Amanda's. She takes her husband back in a heartbeat--I'm not sure if its because he has made her feel guilty for not putting out in over a year (which is not an excuse to hang out with a prostitute, its an incentive to communicate or get with a counselor or something) or if she is so desperate to not be destitute, or what. However, I do like that they go forward with their lives together and leave the opulence they can't afford behind. I like that she starts parenting her children.

I'm glad Babe ends up with Ray, but its sad that marriage is no longer a commitment. Wes was her third husband and a rebound one at that. They were using each other for fame more than anything, so it wasn't hard for Babe to drop him once she reconnects with her one true love (that she met when she was 15...).

I must say I didn't love Ellie, but I did like the self-discovery process she went through.

As for Carleen, I liked Carleen. What she did was misconstrued as evil when it was purely a protective measure for her mother. I really loved the integration of the pink ribbon.

To find out Babe was most likely Edward's daughter made me roll my eyes, mostly because Edward says something along the lines of how God must have wanted Babe to be on the earth (Edward is gay and Mazie, the girls' mother, was the one woman he would ever love).

Overall, I liked the book, hence the three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secrets Sisters Keep.