Melanie's Reviews > The Quiet Room: A Journey Out of the Torment of Madness

The Quiet Room by Lori Schiller

Nov 26, 10

Read from October 28 to November 02, 2010

I am reading this to help me gain insight into my sister's mental illness. Unfortunately, the author has schizo-affective disorder while my sister is paranoid-schizophrenic and it is obvious from the early part of the book (I am about 1/2 through) that there are significant differences. The book is poorly written and not as insightful as I would have hoped. It doesn't answer many obvious questions. For example, I've often wondered about the voices. Are they the voices of people she knows? Are they the same voices or different people's voices? Does she ever hear her own voice? My sister hears people calling to her because they are trapped in locked storage containers, trunks of cars and other places. She believes the voices are external. Apparently, at least part of the time, Lori Schiller knows the voices are internal. I think I'm going to come away from this book with just as many questions as before.

--------------
Finished the book. She does talk about her voices more in the second half and it gets more into her head about what it is like to have schizo-affective disorder. Her recovery is surprisingly little of the book and is based on the availability of a new drug. In some ways the book points out that therapists and psychiatrists work harder on patients who are violent. Since my sister is non-violent, she's pushed out the door and living on the streets--okay she gets a stipend from the state--but she doesn't have access to the new drugs or hospital care. So she'll always hear the voices and never understand that they are not real.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quiet Room.