Jinny Chung's Reviews > Invisible Man

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: love-love-love

The fifth chapter is absolutely perfect. Perfect. And chapters ten and eleven? The most chilling two chapters ever written.

I hate the word, but it actually applies here -- this book is EPIC.

I laugh, I cringe, I cry. I'm a mess reading it.

I swear, I am going to write a two hundred page essay plucking parallels between this and Dante's Inferno.

...No, I'm not.

" 'Listen here, you old fool, don't talk about killing me! Give me a chance to explain. I don't belong to anything -- Go on, pick it up! Go on!' I yelled, seeing his eyes fasten upon a twisted iron bar. 'You're old enough to be my grandfather, but if you touch that bar, I swear I'll make you eat it!' "

"He blanched at being called old, and I repeated it, adding insults I'd heard my grandfather use. 'Why, you old-fashioned, slavery-time, mammy-made, handkerchief-headed bastard, you should know better! What made you think you could threaten my life? You meant nothing to me, I came down here because I was sent. I didn't know anything about you or the union either. Why'd you start riding me the minute I came in? Are you people crazy? Does this paint go to your head? Are you drinking it?' "

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible Man.