Rebecca's Reviews > Torment

Torment by Lauren Kate
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4472501
's review
Jun 07, 12

Read on October 28, 2010

*SPOILER WARNING* (As in if you thought you were in for a good read this will spoil it)
**Also SWEAR WARNING** (because I just can't get through this review without swearing. I need some release!)

I have had to take a break from my reading of Torment to get this off my chest.

I hated Fallen. Everything about it was incredibly one dimensional and at the end I felt like I still knew nothing, none of the big questions had been answered. Like I was reading blind-folded, was out of the loop and nothing was resolved.

Ok, I thought, so maybe you are supposed to feel that way because Luce does. Now before I started reading Torment, a year had passed, the anger had subsided and I was ready to forgive Kate; naively thinking that the sequel would be a more satisfying ride. I was wrong.

In Torment none of this changes, it just gets worse!

This book made me want to hurl it across the room on many occasions:

1. Every time TSTL (To Stupid To Live) Luce goes against every single warning anyone ‘in the know’ gives her and puts herself in danger over and over again; and

2. Every time Luce asks someone a question we are dying to find out, we get a vague sliver of information, only to have an ACTUAL ANSWER bafflingly snatched away from us. Here are some glaring examples, it usually goes a little something like this:

a. Luce: “Daniel, you aren’t letting me in, the whole reason I am TSTL is because you don’t tell me anything, so I don’t know what I’m supposed to be afraid of.”
“Mmmmm...” Daniel nodded, stared moodily into the distance, but did not tell her anything.

b. Arriane: “Oh, wait til I tell you the whole juicy story of the fall, it is the best thing since sliced bread! This story will be the ride of your lives! Your heads will explode when I tell it to you! Are you ready? Ok, it all started when — Oh! Wait, sorry! I have to go fight someone now. Raincheck!” (PS She never finishes this apparently mind-blowing story. Now that is just plain rude...)

c. Luce to Basically Everyone: “I wouldn’t keep putting myself in danger every chapter if someone would PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!”
Basically Everyone: “Well if you aren’t psychic then we aren’t going to help you figure it out. Now let’s change the subject...”

Yes, would someone please tell us! The bit on the balcony where Luce thinks her and Daniel are finally having a mature conversation only to have him go more mysterious and cryptic than ever before: I literally wanted to punch him in the face. Actually, that goes for every single time he appears, I don't care how glorious or blonde he is. The guy is a COMPLETE DOUCHE-BAG.

I have never been more frustrated by a book (or book series) in my life.

It is like Lauren Kate thinks she is upping the suspense if every single crucial piece of information is dangled just beyond our noses, but never given, forcing us to read until the end in the vain hope of getting some answers. And in the case of Fallen, getting to the end and finding out that we would have to wait A-WHOLE-NOTHER YEAR until she could torture us with the proverbial carrot again.

The woman is evil.

Now, I have not quite finished Torment, and I cannot stop reading now. But if that bitch ends on the same note as Fallen (which I know is a distinct possibility because there is another book after this one), I refuse to buy one of her books EVER AGAIN.

Will continue reading. Stay tuned...

****************************************

Ok, so I just finished torment. You must think me as dense as Luce because, lo and behold, she left us on another frickin cliff-hanger of crucial information. WHY??? Why does she have to use this as a tool to force us to buy her next book??? Why can’t it just be the anticipation of another exhilarating, well-written adventure and spending more time with the hero and heroine the reader has fallen in love with? Oh wait, that’s because if I have to spend one more moment with these Idiotic characters I will throw a starshot at both of them and save everyone the hassle.

So the big final carrots that she dangles in front of us in the last chapter are:

- Luce is some kind of a big deal: from the outcasts “we need retribution”, “I will yield to you” and “we need to trade you to get into heaven”.

- Luce is an angel or other heavenly being: Daniel’s fear of her being hit by a starshot when humans can’t be killed by them, and his guilty gaze when she thought it couldn’t hurt her.

Now the thing I hated about the prologue the most was the whole “Shelly had a crush on me but I never reciprocated”. Was that supposed to be our only “OH” moment at the end? PATHETIC! Like making us believe there was a miniscule chance he had been unfaithful to his eternal (-ly stupid) love was the biggest reveal in the story?? That was it?! That was what I waited the whole frickin book for?! For fuck’s sake!!

So anyway, what I am thinking is that the big “OH” moment in Kate’s next book, Passion, will that Luce is actually Lucifer? But since I refuse to read one more grating word of Lauren Kate’s, you will have to fill me in.
185 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torment.
Sign In »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 100) (100 new)


Mandy lol ~ hate much??? Have anger issue or what?? I felt your frustration too ~ not the hate so much but I was frustrated with this book.


Rebecca lol Yeah I think it was an immediate reaction to the book, but I'd rather a passionate hate (or love) than a 'meh'...


Mandy :) I like all the feelings in between too! But that's just me. lol


message 4: by Dora610 (last edited Nov 02, 2010 03:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dora610 i hated the book,but i'll still read the next one cuz i have to find out SOME answers


Rebecca I know I was adamant that I won't read the next one, but I will probably cave for the same reason... Although I read somewhere that there will be four books?? I don't think I could endure four!!


Rebecca I suppose I am a person of extremes :)

Mandy wrote: ":) I like all the feelings in between too! But that's just me. lol"


Dora610 Rebecca wrote: "I know I was adamant that I won't read the next one, but I will probably cave for the same reason... Although I read somewhere that there will be four books?? I don't think I could endure four!!"

yeah,the fourth one is called Rapture


message 8: by Eve (new)

Eve Davids Lol, here is what I do to authors like this. I buy the book, and then I return it if she ends it in another cliff anger.
To be honest, I hated Fallen so much that even though someone got me Torment, its just staring at me. I have way too many better things to read than touch it. Christmas is coming anyway, so I might as well pass it off as a gift.
Also, the books are too freaking long to end in cliffhangers every darn time.


Rebecca Totally agree!! But can you actually return a book after you've read it?

Yeah I would give it as a gift to someone u want to annoy the heck out of lol, trust me, it's another unnecessary cliffhanger...

TheDuchess wrote: "Lol, here is what I do to authors like this. I buy the book, and then I return it if she ends it in another cliff anger.
To be honest, I hated Fallen so much that even though someone got me Tormen..."



message 10: by Eve (new)

Eve Davids Hehe, yes you can. Barnes and nobles gives you two weeks and so on but it has to be in the same condition. I'm sorry but I returned fallen after reading it. Not only did I lose hours of my life with such a senseless character, but I had to pay for it also? No.

I browsed through torment, and it seems like her writing got better, but since people are complaining about the cliff hanger I wont bother to read it at all.


Rebecca Yeah the writing was better, there were also a couple of moments that actually elicited a reaction from me other than 'How can you be so stupid??', but still the end is so annoying it's not worth the journey.


Alyssa I liked the book but like you, I agree that I really wanted to punch Daniel sometimes. I mean the 1st book he seemed great & the 2nd he WAS a total douche-bag! And I wanted to know what the hell was up w/ him & Shelby not that she had a crush on him! There was so much I wanted to find out. Either we'll find out in the last 2 books or it'll just be forgotten...and I'm thinking it's the latter. I really enjoyed your review though, it was very funny...just wanted to tell you that lol :)


Rebecca Thanks! You made my day :)


Alyssa wrote: "I liked the book but like you, I agree that I really wanted to punch Daniel sometimes. I mean the 1st book he seemed great & the 2nd he WAS a total douche-bag! And I wanted to know what the hell wa..."


message 14: by Mandy (last edited Nov 17, 2010 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mandy Alyssa wrote: "I liked the book but like you, I agree that I really wanted to punch Daniel sometimes. I mean the 1st book he seemed great & the 2nd he WAS a total douche-bag! And I wanted to know what the hell wa..."

I felt the same way..lol.. it made me laugh..her review that is!


Kafka Ok so we all have our opinions but I totally got a kick outta that one even if I disagree. Wow that was very interesting. Love when people vent. .


message 16: by Airaology (new)

Airaology i stopped reading fallen halfway because it got really, really confusing but thanks to your review I have no intention of finishing it and buying the next book. THANK YOU :D


Rebecca Aira wrote: "i stopped reading fallen halfway because it got really, really confusing but thanks to your review I have no intention of finishing it and buying the next book. THANK YOU :D"

Anytime! :)


message 18: by Kiyo (new) - added it

Kiyo star i kind of liked the book but i have to agree...Daniel made me extremely mad...i hate him...he is suppose to be an angel but..he doesnt act like one.and IF he really wanted to stay away from her why didnt he... i mean when she first met him he gave her the middle finger....but then he takes her swimming....(In fallen) i dont get it why doesnt he have SELF CONTROLL....CaM is a demon and he acts better than Daniel....thats a bit backwards......
i loved Miles...If i were lUce id leave "even-though-their-not-together- really" Daniel for him....he has much better qualities ....
I also think Cam loves LUce to because...in fallen--he was so sweet to her when Daniel acted like a total ass. I was disapointed that Cam wasnt in the book torment more...i hope in Passion it explains what his role is in Luces life....b/c he seems to be an important part of the series...i mean without him....Daniel and Luce would have never kissed in the first book.....
if u notices in the torment...Daniel basically stalked Luce b/c everytime she was with someone he miraculously show up..after he tells her repeatedly they could be together for a while..forexample,when she was at the party...he saw her with all those people (miles) and showed up.....or when he was on the roof and(spying)he saw Miles kiss Luce(which was hilarious)I hope Passion is better...to bad i have to wait until the summer.. :(


message 19: by Kiyo (new) - added it

Kiyo star Rebecca wrote: "Aira wrote: "i stopped reading fallen halfway because it got really, really confusing but thanks to your review I have no intention of finishing it and buying the next book. THANK YOU :D"

Anytime! :)"


lolz


message 20: by Emma (last edited Nov 27, 2010 07:23PM) (new) - added it

Emma I loved the book but i really was frustrated when Arriane did not finnish the story because she had to fight some outcast. Daniel does irritate me as well. I am totally team Cam.


message 21: by Aik Chien (last edited Nov 29, 2010 11:43PM) (new)

Aik Chien 인첸 I don't think I'm going to read Torment, since Fallen was such a disappointment. I gave it a mere 2 stars. I hated the fact that the author did not present any explanations to the events that occur in the book. I was really frustrated with it.


message 22: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna Hahaha, YOU READ MY MIND!
I have just finished The first book, but I was so annoyed by my whole cliffy, and have been thinking that she MUST be either an angel or Lucifer (Last bet mostly) for like better most of the book. I mean it makes sense, the name and all, (*cough* Luc : Lucifer *cough*)and I then was thoroughly convinced when Molly confirmed the thing about Lucifer in her note to Luce. I believe my this you see; "An author doesn't mention something unless it has meaning later on." I mean, KATE was the one who mention Lucifer, not me. So here I am, convected in my belief, but still wary of Kate's procrastinating, so I check it out online. I CANNOT BELIVE IT! She has only HINTED so far that she COULD be an angel? Kate, my dear, are you trying to fucking kill me?? ugh.....
Sorry about the rant, just a bit tired of, as you say, the carrot on the stick dangling overhead when I'm bloody starving! Huh.
Anyway . . . Moving on. Thanks for the review.
:P


Jessanie82 'I don't care how glorious or blonde he is. The guy is a COMPLETE DOUCHE-BAG!'

oh that made me laugh, and I completely agree with you. what got me was this:
Daniel - 'You have to stay on school grounds, you're protected there!'
Luce - *continuously leaves school grounds* 'I don't understand, why do I have to stay at this stupid school?'
Daniel - *vague moody response* 'You're protected.'

QUIT THE CRYPTIC SHIT AND JUST TELL HER WHY FFS!!! 'Because nephilim hide your soul from the bad guys and they won't be able to find you.' WAS THAT SO HARD????? ok, rant over haha.


message 24: by D.m. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.m. Omar Yeah i agree with you she is evil. I thought Cam was gonna show up more in this story from the description... but i guess not. And I was hoping that she would break up with Daniel for being such an asshole and not explaining anything... ugh this is sooo frustrating!


♥ Amber ♥ HAHAHAHA!! I loved this review!!! I think I endured the book a little more than you, on the verge of liked, but MAN it was SO frustrating!!! The bickering between Daniel and Luce made me feel like I was in middle school... I have to keep in mind this is YA but damn! Really?! Anyway, keep writing reviews! Especially on ones you don't like. It was great! :) Take care.


message 26: by A.T. (new) - rated it 2 stars

A.T. OMG! You took the words out of my mouth! I felt the same way! Seriously I hit the book just wishing it was Daniel's face! It was all too annoying - Luce, Daniel, the vague-ness of everyone freaking person! I swear to goodness the end pissed me off and like you I am not going to read the next book. I JUST CAN'T DO IT!


natalie She is obviously a angel. I think she was a bad angel.


Rebecca Ha ha ha, if only the author felt pain every time that happened.... lol

A.T. wrote: "OMG! You took the words out of my mouth! I felt the same way! Seriously I hit the book just wishing it was Daniel's face! It was all too annoying - Luce, Daniel, the vague-ness of everyone freaking..."


Rebecca Yeah I totally laughed when he saw Miles and Luce kiss. I was like 'take that sucker!'

Kiyo wrote: "i kind of liked the book but i have to agree...Daniel made me extremely mad...i hate him...he is suppose to be an angel but..he doesnt act like one.and IF he really wanted to stay away from her why..."


Rebecca You would THINK that, as an apparently professional writer, she would put these things there for a reason; but if she is following her own trend then there will probably be hundreds of possibly meaningful references that get lost in the ether... It's like if she took them all out you'd have about 50 pages worth of meaningful story! :)

Rhianna wrote: "Hahaha, YOU READ MY MIND!
I have just finished The first book, but I was so annoyed by my whole cliffy, and have been thinking that she MUST be either an angel or Lucifer (Last bet mostly) for lik..."



message 31: by Eve (new)

Eve Davids Rebecca, I'm disappointed you gave this another shot. We all really need to bond together and tell Kate to suck it. No one can keep writing this mess, have it be on the NYT bestseller list for months, it just doesnt seem right to me. No matter how hard I try, I cant understand it.
There are very few books I hate as much as the fallen series. I skimmed through this one and I noticed the writing was better, but from all the dumb moments and internal dialogue of Luce I read, I just couldnt bring myself to go through the whole 400 pages of this.


natalie You people are craxy. Fallen is wonderful. I'm obssesed. Better than Twilight, and duuuuuude, I LOVED Twilight. But I love Fallen more. You people just must like romance, you want heartless books with no love and meaning.


natalie *crazy >.<


message 34: by Eve (new)

Eve Davids Natalie, I doubt that's the case. Different people have different reactions to book. Its obvious there are people that love the Fallen series very much. No other way to count for its success.


message 35: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 16, 2011 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rebecca @The Duchess: Ha ha yes well I will not be giving it a third chance trust me! It also completely boggles my mind that so much crap can go onto the bestsellers list and stay there, no matter how badly written! But I suppose it's exactly the same with the music charts...

@Natalie: Actually Natalie, I can offically stamp myself as a complete Twitard, but Fallen was such a load of crap compared to it. Although there are many similarities between them (with the whole YA paranormal romance and the whiny teenage main character), the writing is much better quality, the characters are much more developed, the plot flows much better, and she keeps us reading Twilight because we are interested in the characters, not because we need to know what the f*ck is going on. I could go on for hours.

By the way, isn't Fallen supposed to be a romance? And how are romance books heartless with no love and meaning? Isn't that like the complete antonym of romance?? By all accounts, I would say that is the description of Fallen: heartless, no real love or meaning....


Nadia Hilaaarious! Let me guess, Team Jacob?


Rebecca Nope :( I can't help it! My teenage heart from years past just squees for Edward... THE SHAME


Andrea hi there. well I'm no native speaker, so please forgive me if my english isn't that good.
rebecca, i loved your review. i was loughing a lot when i was reading it. the fallen series really pissed me off. i mean how nerve-racking can a single man be. if i was luce i'de already broke up with him.
i totally hate these storys about all the glory love and that people can't live without each other, nevertheless what happens


message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Hung ah omg I COMPLETELY agree with u, the book is soo crap! she spent 2 books, over 900 pages tell us what?
that apparenlty Luce ( who is the most F-ing annoying and pathetic character ever created) is in love with an angel and "to valuable to die". THAT IS IT! the book title is so true to it's word - a TORMENT. it like watching a crap film, u keep reading becasue u THINK i would get better and everything would be explained, but no 2 book and 900 pages later what do we understand - daniel is a angel trying to keep her alive. THAT IS IT

and for F*** SAKE! what is all this crap about " if i tell u to much about your past it will kill u" is that the feeble excuse the writer could come up with to not tell us anything?!! if you want us to be more understanding of the reason Luce would die if she knew to much, then please TELL us,
urgh


message 40: by Jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jess It's a good story but i totally agree with Rebecca. Good story and good idea; wrong author. I couldn't believe how much Torment dragged on and it was sooo repetitive! Daniel comes: they argue; Daniel goes; Daniel comes... BLAH BLah BLAH!most of the book contains hardly anything; the story hardly progresses!!!;new questions arise but we never get the answers to previous questions let alone the new ones!...and then when something finally HAPPENS and we actually start enjoying the story it gets cut off...THEN WE HAVE TO WAIT A WHOLE YEAR!!!...who the hell does Lauren Kate THINK SHE IS!!!...sorry...really needed to get that off my chest. lol ;)


message 41: by Stacy (new) - rated it 1 star

Stacy Have to agree with you. When I finished it I just looked back and hated it. Will not bother with the 3rd. I won't put myself through that again, no bloody way!


Nadia Dammmn! Could've sworn ;)


natalie Rarw. Read my review, it talks positviley about the book (so ignore that) but please see if you agree with my theory's! Nobody's review is like mine.


message 44: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin i wont to read that book


message 45: by Misskay (new)

Misskay HAHA!! Your review was amazing! So true, hilarious and just plain priceless! :D


natalie READ MINE!
K, thanks :)


message 47: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Lindsey Currently reading torment! Not so bad as of right now. But I hear that the first couple of chapters are pretty much the best and they go down from there.
I have to be honest! Fallen got on my nerves too! But because she left so much stuff unanswered, I just HAD to buy Torment!
And hearing that the bitch still left stuff unsaid and made Arianne NOT tell this mind blowing story is making me want to close the damn thing and return it to my friend (since i borrowed her copy instead of buying it since I heard it sucked)
YOUR REVIEW IS AWESOME & MADE ME LAUGH. Way to go! :D


Rebecca Hey guys, thanks for all your lovely comments!

Sorry I haven't replied to all of them, but I don't seem to be getting email alerts anymore.

Anyway, thanks again :)

PS Can anyone recommend a really good angel story?


message 49: by Airaology (new)

Airaology umm, here is a good angel story (well to me at least) I've read it halfway but paused it because of exams. its called the Halo by alexandra adornetto


Mandy Rebecca wrote: "Hey guys, thanks for all your lovely comments!

Sorry I haven't replied to all of them, but I don't seem to be getting email alerts anymore.

Anyway, thanks again :)

PS Can anyone recommend a re..."



you want good angels or BAD angels? lol

Personal Demons was one of my favs. BUT you can not kill or bash me on goodreads if you don't like it! lol


« previous 1
back to top