♥ Sarah ♥'s Reviews > The Lunatic Cafe

The Lunatic Cafe by Laurell K. Hamilton

2641924
This was the very first audiobook I've ever listened to so I found it a little harder to rate than usual. The reason being that I usually rate how much I like a book based on how easy it is for me to read and how hard it is for me to put down. In this case, I was listening to it while working, so neither would apply.

But overall, I liked the story and I liked the story shift. It seems that this one had a LOT more romance aspects and even some very light love scenes (VERY light - like just kissing). This is a GOOD change for me, because I'm a romance buff and I'm hoping that this continues on into the series. Personally, I was also a little turned on that Richard wanted to do the change thing while having sex. In fantasy, that's kinda hot. Not the whole killing afterward part; but if I were Anita, I'd be like, umm yes please. :) I'm a dirty girl though when it comes to my fantasies. :-D

The one thing I don't like, and looks like it'll be a trend in the upcoming books, is the way she is bouncing back and forth between Jean Claude and Richard. I mean, c'mon, really? What is there to honestly like about Jean Claude? He seems like he's not all that attractive and I just don't see the appeal AT ALL. Richard, on the other hand - well let's just say, saddle me up, he can take me for a ride. ;) Which is actually kind of funny, since I usually am one to choose the vampire over the werewolf - but in this case Richard is WAAY sexier.

But, it looks like in the upcoming books she will be very back and forth with not only them, but other men as well. This, I'm not a fan of. I'm a fan of romance, I'm a fan of a little bow-chicka-wow-wow, but I'm also a fan of loyalty. I just know I'm going to grow even more attached to Richard and just want her to be with him. But, we'll have to see how they turn out.

Some of the actual mystery that was in the book was downplayed by the romance, but I thought it was still a good balance. Hamilton is really good with mystery, in my opinion. I predicted PART of the ending, but she's always good for a surprise or two up her sleeve.

If I could, I'd probably give this a 3.5 - but I don't know. Like I said, it's a bit hard to say since I read this as an audiobook and my usual criteria wasn't there. I did like the new shift in the story to have more romance in it, but her books do tend to move rather slow throughout as well.

As far as the series as a whole goes, I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it. The reason being that I really, really like Anita. I like her personality, I think she's funny in a sarcastic way, but she's strong willed and stands her ground in any situation. She's a great main character. Hamilton is also really good at setting up a mystery that actually surprises you in the end. But my problem is the writing style. I try to get past it to the story for the most part, but she has a very blah writing style. It tends to drag and lull a lot throughout the story. But I find myself wondering what Anita will be up to next, so I continue on in the series. Her writing between the first book and this HAS improved, and I just hope that it will moving on because it's a great concept for a series and Anita is a great main character.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lunatic Cafe.

Quotes ♥ Sarah ♥ Liked

Laurell K. Hamilton
“If I went in the cage, I was going to end up eaten alive. That was actually one of my top five ways not to die...”
Laurell K. Hamilton, The Lunatic Cafe