Michelle's Reviews > Endless Love

Endless Love by Scott Spencer

Nov 03, 2010

bookshelves: 2010

This is either a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 star book. Seriously, I would understand any one of these ratings. It is about one young man's obsessive (to say the least) relationship with his high school girlfriend. I'd give a "1" for character likeability. Every character is seriously screwed up/deranged/sick in the head, with the possible exception of David's mother. I wish we saw a little more of his parents' relationship because, as Jewish Communists in the late 60s, they are pretty damn interesting. I'd give a "2" for sexual content. There are some gnarly scenes. Gnar-ly. And unless you like references to people getting so hot they are "dilated enough for a premature birth" (that's not even the worst of it - not by a long shot, not even the worst on that page) you might feel a little squeamish at times. I'm still reeling from one particular sex scene. I can't even type some of the stuff that was in there. But points for originality here. Lord knows I kept reading (jaw. on. floor.)

I'd give a "3" to general plot. It held my attention but the angst got a little old after awhile (WHY did he love her so much??? WHY??) A "4" goes to the way the author showed how one person's obsessiveness can spiral out of control and affect multiple people. I also liked that it wasn't *just* Jade he pined over, but her whole jacked up family. I did wonder if the things that happened would've without David's involvement. The Butterfields were painted as uber-WASPy but they were sampling LSD as a family event so they weren't completely normal. Was he just a catalyst? Would there have been some other catalyst if not for him? And a "5" goes to the writing itself. Intense, unique descriptions. Sometimes a little too intense or unique (see above: sex scenes) but better than most anything I've read.

I'm a little emotionally exhausted by this book. I find it easy to specify what makes a 1, 2, or 5 star book and often struggle when it's between a 3 and a 4. Ultimately I ask myself whether the work is easily replicated or somewhat simple. The answer here is a resounding no. So it's a four.
15 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endless Love.

05/13 marked as: read

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda obsessive love at its most obsessive!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Great review Michelle...it's been a long time since I read Endless Love, but I agree with you, especially the comment about why I kept reading. An obsessive book about obsession.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Great review!

Melissa I completely agree with you! I think your 100% correct, that the writing deserves a 5, because it was very good. But I am also torn between the 3/4 stars, because while I did enjoy it, I feel like I kind of wanted a *little* bit more. Additionally, you pose a good question: WHY does he love her so much? Besides the love making, what did she have that made her worth all this? Im glad someone else feels the same way I do!

Lisa Well said. All the time I was reading this (and I couldn't put it down) I was thinking "Is this book absolute crap, or is it really good? How can I not know?"
For a while, I was irritated by the endless navel-gazing of David and the Butterfields. But now I'm inclined to think this book is a brilliant, sustained and quite scathing portrayal of the Me generation, capitalism and individualism, because all the characters except Arthur and Rose are entirely unlikeable, self-absorbed idiots.

Michelle "I'm inclined to think this book is a brilliant, sustained and quite scathing portrayal of the Me generation, capitalism and individualism, because all the characters except Arthur and Rose are entirely unlikeable, self-absorbed idiots. " - Brilliant! I agree entirely.