Manybooks's Reviews > Thanksgiving Day in Canada

Thanksgiving Day in Canada by Krys Val Lewicki

Feb 07, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: celebrations-rituals, childrens-history-nonfiction, picture-books, book-reviews, childrens-literature, four-seasons-autumn
Recommended for: children and adults wanting a Thankgiving book with Canadian twist
Read on November 12, 2015 , read count: 1

Using the framework of a fictional question and answer exchange between Irene and Richard and their grandparents (whom they are visiting for the holiday), this book presents an expansive and informative layout of Thanksgiving traditions, with an emphasis on specifically Canadian ones, of course. While I did mildly enjoy Thanksgiving Day in Canada, the story could have used an editor, as some of the chronology feels a bit off or misleading (the history of the French Canadian Thanksgiving traditions of 1606 really should have been presented before and NOT after the information about the 1621 Plymouth Colony Thanksgiving celebrations). And actually, for a book that is supposed to be about Canadian Thanksgiving celebrations and traditions (according to the title), there is really too much of an emphasis on American Thanksgiving, while the equally and perhaps even more important (at least from a Canadian point of view) French Canadian traditions are scanty and almost a bit of an afterthought (just a few lines of text, while the information about the 1621 Plymouth Colony celebrations are much longer and more lavishly detailed).

Personally, I also find it more than a bit problematic that author Krys Val Lewicki makes no mention of the fact that long before the arrival of European colonists, Native Americans/Canadians had been celebrating diverse fall gatherings of community and thanksgiving. Why ignore this fact?

As for Ana Auml's illustrations, they provide a bright, colourful and generally fitting mirror to/for the narrative, but seem a trifle stagnant and stiff, lacking both motion and emotion (while I am certainly appreciative of them, they do not in any way "wow" me). I think I probably would have liked the illustrations a bit better had they contained more autumn foliage, autumn leaves, and the colours of the season (there is really only one autumn colour/landscape spread, which is kind of frustrating, at least that was and is the case for me).

I would recommend Thanksgiving Day in Canada to older children above the ages of seven or eight (there is a bit too much text and historical detail for younger children, who might become distracted and lose focus), with the caveat that the issues with chronology should be taken into consideration (and that additional information, such as perhaps also discussing First Nations harvest and thanksgiving traditions, could/should be considered).

7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thanksgiving Day in Canada.

11/12/2015 marked as: read