Kate's Reviews > Diaries: The Python Years, 1969-1979

Diaries by Michael Palin

Nov 02, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from October 27 to November 02, 2010, read count: 1

It's weird to be assigning a rating and reviewing works that were never originally intended to be published. There's also been entries removed, which I understand. There's stuff that you'd rather not the public see and most of it is with regard to family vacations, which don't fit so nicely into the narrative of Palin's career and the growing popularity of Monty Python. It's not as informative during the first bit of the book, quite honestly it drags quite a bit, but that's also not surprising. No one is expecting Python to last very long. Keep on reading though and things move allow at a fine clip. You read about all the problems in the group, the personality and professional conflicts, and the filming of Holy Grail and Life of Brian.

There's also, of course, him dealing with the deterioration of his father from Parkinson's, the political atmosphere of Britain at the time, making friends with people like George Harrison and Led Zeppelin. Also the musings of a man on life, the universe and everything while fame goes on in the background. I don't usually read nonfiction but I found it quite nice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diaries.

Quotes Kate Liked

Michael Palin
“I am very cautious of people who are absolutely right, especially when they are vehemently so.”
Michael Palin, Diaries: The Python Years, 1969-1979