Ryan Bugh's Reviews > Coming Back Stronger: Unleashing the Hidden Power of Adversity

Coming Back Stronger by Drew Brees

M_50x66
Oct 27, 10

Read in October, 2010

Prior to reading Coming Back Stronger by Drew Brees, it had been a long time since I’d read a book that actually kept and held my interest further than the opening chapters. However, this book is a very powerful story that thoroughly addresses the hidden power of overcoming adversity in your life. This is something that really hits home with me. The autobiography was extremely smooth and easy to read, yet it also makes one ponder deeper than just the words on the page. I found myself thinking a lot about my life while reading this book, which is something I have never experienced while reading. I enjoyed Drew Brees’ book very much, and it had many positive aspects such as the way he addresses the deeper meaning behind sports and life, the simple yet compelling way to overcome trials in your life, and the amazing storyline of his remarkable tale in the NFL.
Right off the bat, Drew states that his success on and off the field is completely owed to his Lord Jesus Christ. He is an individual that countless people look up to as a role model, and this is a very unique and outstanding quality in the sports world today. It is inspiring to see how he uses the game of football as his own mission field, and every day is pointing people to Christ by the way he behaves as a professional quarterback.
The second reason I really enjoyed reading Drew Brees’ book is because of the parallel stories of Brees overcoming a shoulder injury and New Orleans overcoming the devastation of hurricane Katrina, one of the largest natural disasters ever to strike America. Drew needed New Orleans, just as New Orleans needed Drew, and together they accomplished something remarkable- an NFL championship. One of the quotes from the book that really stuck with me says, “In the aftermath of one of the most devastating natural disasters in U.S. history, the city of New Orleans needed a hero. What they got was a saint.” He explains that in many instances he faced trials that could have knocked him down forever, but instead he used these events to come back stronger, and use adversity for the good of his career.
The final reason I enjoyed this book is because of the detailed description of Drew’s NFL career. For football lovers like me, this is the perfect book. The descriptions are an awesome balance between exhausting his career, and providing a very vague explanation. By reading this book, it is almost as if you are walking through his journey with him from his early years, to high school, to college, and to the NFL. As previously stated, Drew faced many different painful times, but he never gave up. At the end of the story he shares the story of him winning the Super-Bowl, showing that all the hard work paid off in the end.
In conclusion, I would recommend this book to anybody from the age of 10 and beyond. However, specifically I would recommend it to football fanatics, any kind of sports lovers, anybody who is or has faced adversity in their life, or just anyone who is looking for a feel good story that is enjoyable from cover to cover. I learned a lot from this book, and I hope it inspires people in the same way it inspired me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming Back Stronger.