Warnie B.'s Reviews > Abandon

Abandon by Meg Cabot

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, e-books, myths-and-legends, fantasy, young-adult
Read on November 26, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

2.5 stars, really--Meg, Meg, what happened here? While I was interested enough in this story to read the entire thing in one sitting, in the end I found it pretty lacking. First of all, there was very little of the humor Cabot is known for and which might have made its deficiencies a little more bearable. As it is though, it's kind of a big long mope-fest. But there are other issues. Pierce has had a lot of interesting things happen to her, but she's not a very interesting character, and for someone who is repeatedly described as such a caring person, she's surprisingly selfish at times. I didn't understand why John even liked Pierce--the only thing we're told is that she has eyes like warm honey or something or other, and because she's the only person who ever asked if he was okay. That just wasn't enough for me to believe it. And Pierce keeps indicating that she's terrified of John; if only he weren't so hot and broody! And then several plot points are introduced involving Pierce's cousin Alex and a bunch of stereotypical high-school jerks that get no resolution whatsoever. I know she must be saving that stuff for the next book, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people write books in a series that cannot stand alone. And this one absolutely cannot. The only thing that saved it at all for me was that Cabot still somehow manages to tell what little there is of the story in a somewhat compelling way. Mostly though, it's just...not great.

But I'll probably read the next one. Maybe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.

11/26/2011