Valerie's Reviews > A Reliable Wife

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

Jan 13, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from January 11 to 12, 2011

This was not really what I expected this story to be... the repetitive phrases, continuously rehashing incidents, and sex sex sex!! Don't get me wrong... I don't mind a little sex in a story... but the author can't go 2/3 pages without mentioning sex in some capacity or other. Became quite boring to me, actually. I almost put the book down after the first 11 pages because of all the repetitive phrasing ("The train was late"... how many times did he REALLY need to say that to get the point across??... not enough, apparently) and the continued comments about Ralph Truitt looking in the mirror. I made myself stick it out & finish, and I am just glad it's over & done with. Definitely some brutality mixed with vengeance and self-loathing, murderous intentions... Overall, just wasn't a good read for me. The twist of the story between Catherine & her husband's son (and his identity) was a bit weird. It wasn't a surprise that she basically being a "mail order bride" eventually fell in love with her husband... I pretty much saw that coming. The son was a twisted, manipulative person who's main purpose was vengeance for his mother and trying to make Catherine do his "dirty work" in killing his father. He was treated badly by his father, but I feel that his father really was trying to make amends for his past actions/wrongdoings. I think this story could have done much better without all the ramblings of the author on the sex topics... That was just overkill, in my opinion. I don't think I've ever read a story where sex - from the fumblings of a young man as he discovers his own sexuality to all of the affairs, one night stands and whoring - is mentioned at practically every turn of the page.... Enough already!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Reliable Wife.

01/11/2011 page 87

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Naomi Great Book!

Valerie Good to hear it! I didn't know anyone who has read it, but it sounded like a good one.

Naomi Think of a wicked Sarah, Plain and Tall

Valerie Ok... I'm just starting this book... and I haven't read all of the comments about it yet and I know I'm a bit behind, but... HOW MANY TIMES does this guy have to say "The train is late"!?!? Argh! And how many times is he going to reference Ralph Truitt looking at himself in the mirror that morning!?! How annoying! All the repetitiveness of phrases is ridiculous. I don't think I've felt like this about a book in a very long time.... Please tell me it isn't like this throughout the book.

message 5: by Kristi (new) - added it

Kristi Thanks for the in-depth review. I've been going back and forth on this book for a while, but more and more I'm hearing more negative comments than positive.

I think I'll push this one way back in the potential reading list, if I ever get to it. Thanks again!