Jessica's Reviews > The Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: 2011, all-time-fav, own
Read on October 04, 2011 — I own a copy

Does the title mean we get to hear Percy telling the story again. PLEASE be so!

Edit May 28: PERCY!!!!! *Girl writing this tackles Percy in a hug* I love you! I'm so happy your back! And you remember Annabeth! That's my favorite demigod hero! And already fighting those monsters. You are so much better than Jason! I love you PERCY!!!

Actual Book Review: October 4th

So I had this totally awesome book review, but Goodreads timed out when I tried to save it. Hera or Gaea are being really mean. They don't want you to read this book. Hera because she loves Jason more than Percy, and Gaea because she's evil, and vice versa.

BUT DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE EVIL PEOPLE!!! PERCY IS THE TOTALLY AWESOMEST DEMIGOD EVA'!!!! JASON STINKS!!!

Though Leo's hot...

Anyway, like I said before Hera messed with Goodreads, Rick Riordan may have lost his marbles when he wrote "The Lost Hero." I mean, come on, there is no way he can start a series with an arrogent amnesiac who everyone claims is the best thing since Pac Man to be as well loved as Percy. Percy's a better amnesiac, and this is a much better book than the first one.

One reason is each of the characters get a set of four chapters instead of two. This settles the pacing down and gives us a real chance to get to know the two newbies, Frank and Hazel. Poor Jason and Piper didn't really stand a chance with the two chapter formula. In this book, Frank and Hazel really get a lot of spotlight, and they grow on you, each with a pretty cool background history (Hazel especially) and great character growth (Frank especially).

Also, this book didn't follow some kind of obvious plot path that the first one did. The first one was like you could clearly see where Rick had wrote his plot web. This one didn't have you seeing who was going to be the main hero where. Well, not too much anyway. Oh, and the battles where totally original, unlike "The Lost Hero", which seemed to borrow (steal) all it's battle ideas from the Percy Jackson series.

I'm going to wrap this up now by saying that this book has restored my faith in Rick Riordan. I was afraid that he had totally lost his mind, but, even though he seems in love with Jason now, I don't think this series will be soooo bad.

Especially since Percy's back and we now have the Amazing Flaming Valdez ;)

BTW, I totally love everyone who's liked or commented on my review. It made me feel special. HUGS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Son of Neptune.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Rick Riordan
“Um...is that thing tame?" Frank said.
The horse whinnied angrily.
"I don't think so," Percy guessed. "He just said, 'I will trample you to death, silly Chinese Canadian baby man'.
Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune

Rick Riordan
“Annabeth's face, her blond hair and gray eyes, the way she laughed, threw her arms around him, and gave him a kiss whenever he did something stupid.
She must have kissed me a lot, Percy thought.”
Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thoo (new)

Thoo i wish...

Zanib  Sajjad i hope it's from percy's p.o.v to, adn yes, he is so much better than jason:)

Dania Black Soooooo much better than Jason... I mean, he has an AWSOME sense of humour (that I really missed in the lost hero) and he's always exited and hyper!!! I LOVE HIM!!!!!

Jessica I know! The laughing factor of The Lost Hero is just so low. And Jason is just so serious :/ Percy RULES!

Dania Black Completely entirely agree. NO doubt about it. I LOVE PERCY!!!!!!!!

Madeline if i were percy i would be really creeped out by you people
but he is wayy better then jason

Dania Black Madeline wrote: "if i were percy i would be really creeped out by you people
but he is wayy better then jason"

Your on the Gale vs. Peeta conversation!
Are we that weird about Percy... your comments about Peeta were interesting too.

Madeline we are weird about percy
i mean if they saw him they would run up and like probably scream at him I LOVE YOU PERCY!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH
that would be weird

Dania Black Yeah, it would be weird... But Percy ROCKS! He's given us a reason to be weird. *fake dramatic tone*

Madeline yeah your right PERCY DOES ROCK!

Jessica Yeah, and you know you would be right there with us if you saw Percy, screaming "I LOVE YOU PERCY!!!!"
Embrace it.

Madeline yeah probably but i wouldnt like it

Isabelle *the face behind the crazy* I probably won't do that....okay maybe I'll be temped....oh who am I kidding I would totally do that.
PERCY RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sabrina *The REAL Princess* Percy rules, that's true. Logan Lerman is hot. That's another fact ;)

Isabelle *the face behind the crazy* Couldn't have said it better myself.

message 16: by Percy (new)

Percy THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING THE AWESOMENESS OF PERCY OVER JASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica HI PERCY!!!!

You don't know how weird it was to see that name come up on my review thing.

Hannah YOU GAIZ!! IF JASON WAS SON OF ROMAN JUPITER THEN HES NOT SON OF GREEK ZEUS? I KNOW THEY ARE THE SAME BUT THEY ARE LIKE A DOUBLE SIDED COIN! YOU GET ME? okay imma quit with caps. Anywaaay...if this is true (let us recall the whole jason and thalia relationship), then percy can't be the son of neptune!! CAN HE????

message 19: by Thoo (new)

Thoo I think he could! Cause if Hera didn't give him that info, and the campers+ lupa see him using water powers, their all gonna scream "NEPTUNE!!!!!!" I think the title's meant to confuse ya.

Hannah OOOOH i getchaaa. I see how that could work out. BUT WE CAN FIGURE IT OUT TOMORROOWWW!!! WOOOOOT WOOT!!!

♥SugarFlower♥ I love Percy's scaracasm in the first series. And the best chapter names "A God Buys Us Cheeseburgers" or "Blackjack Gets Jacked" HILARIOIUS! PERCY IS SO FUNNY! Although in this book, he is more serious, but YAY PERCY!

Hunter You didn't like the heroes of olympus? Not a tiny bit? Really? I kinda missed percy, but really, I thought #1 (of this series) was good. Not fantastic, probably in-between great and good.

message 23: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa i totally agree with you i think Rick was crazy thinking he could exclude percy from the lost hero. thank the gods he is back through i totally thought this series would suck and i never liked Jason to begain with he is too serious.

Madelyn I like Jason though I like Percy better though it's probably because I know Percy better.

Annie I LOVE this book!!!

message 26: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby The Lost Hero was not the best. The dragon was the high point and I liked Leo. So far I am only a few chapters into it and I love it. Percy is back and. Better than ever!

Isabelle Antolin i hope percy is back it made the book great!

Elianna I love percy BUT I think rick riordan copied some of harry potter in the son of neptune I mean,seriously BASILISKS? I love this series but I cant help but noticing stuff from HP.

message 29: by Trey (new)

Trey srry to say imean i aint gay r nothing but jason is way better than percy if they had a showdown jason would win just sayin

Camryn Ok so I apparently do have to read the Lightning thief series again? I only remember bits and pieces of it and I haven't read since 5th grade or so... Maybe less. And basically that was 2 or 3 years ago... And I feel horrible cuz I don't even remember what Percy is like or what he looks like :\ and because of that, I like Jason better... Is that bad? Is Percy better? Blah I feel like IM the one with amnesia now...

Jessica Camryn wrote: "Ok so I apparently do have to read the Lightning thief series again? I only remember bits and pieces of it and I haven't read since 5th grade or so... Maybe less. And basically that was 2 or 3 year..."

Personally, I love Percy. That's obvious from above, but everyone has their own opionions. I've read the Percy Jackson series several times, and I just like his personality way more than Jason's.

Sarah-Lynn You're totally right.

Jordan WELL I THINK YOUR CRAZY!!!! Ok, i agree that book two was better for the reason that they all had longerchapters in their point of veiw but i still believe book one was almost as good and book two.

▪▮CᴜʀsᴇᴛᴇᴇN▮▪ Agree agree! Though I love Jason too. But nothing compared to my love for Seaweed Brain :D Percy is cute/hot, funny, has sense of humor, sometimes sarcastic, gutsy. I liked how he defied Mars. Everything about him.

But I feel sad too. He seemed like he had to sacrifice so much for this war. War! Effing wars. Why couldn't they just leave him alone?

Let's hope he doesn't die!

Diamond Great review. *looks if you've reviewed The Red Puramid*

Jessica Diamond wrote: "Great review. *looks if you've reviewed The Red Puramid*
Love the Percy Jackson series, was wondering how the others fared, I just bought red pyramid gonna try it out, :)"

I've read the Red Pyramid, but I don't believe I've reviewed it. IMO, it's the best book of that trilogy, before the series got too complicated. I have reviewed the last book, if you want to check that out later.

It's not as good as the Percy Jackson series, but if pretty decent.

message 37: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily I love SoN. Hazel & Frank's relationship seems more realistic.

Hunter Diamond wrote: "Great review. *looks if you've reviewed The Red Puramid*

The Kanes are pretty different... can I recommend the audiobooks? I checked out the first one from the library, and it's excellent. 2 narrators, one for each POV (I cannot remember the names... sorry), and bickering at the start of each chapter, it's like it was produced as Carter and Sadie (I remember and I hate editing, K?) were using a mic. Very enjoyable. Also, hearing a narrator yell "Shesmu" is pretty fantastic. I recommend it, but not on the basis of "if you like Percy Jackson you'll like The Kane Chronicles." It's in a slightly different tone, I think.

Elianna wrote: "I love percy BUT I think rick riordan copied some of harry potter in the son of neptune I mean,seriously BASILISKS? I love this series but I cant help but noticing stuff from HP."

Or basilisks are a common part of mythology. There are definitely parallels, but that's probably just different authors drawing on common mythology.

message 39: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily True

message 40: by Nisha (new)

Nisha Yh

Sailor Universe I hope it is too

Lydia Worssa Do u like Percy cause it seems like and BTW Jason does not stink all of the 7 demigods are awesome