Kerry Nietz's Reviews > War

War by Sebastian Junger

Oct 27, 10

Read in October, 2010

War” is another of those books that I wasn’t sure if I wanted to start. I’ve read a number of “soldiers at war” books in my day and they’re typically hard reading for me. It is hard to read about young men living in the harshest conditions—daily risking their lives—while seated comfortably in an easy chair at home. Though I’m grateful for their sacrifice, it is unsettling to know the price others are daily paying to defend the things I hold dear. It doesn’t seem right or fair. It is a gift I don’t deserve and a debt I can hardly repay.

That said, I was glad I read this book. The story of Mr. Junger’s time as an imbedded journalist among our brave soldiers fighting in Afghanistan is well worth any discomfort. The author does a great job of bringing you right into the action. It is a page-turner from start to finish.

Be warned, though, no punches are pulled here. You will see the war the way the soldiers see, hear and live it—with both the imperfections and strengths of humanity represented. Their language is explicit, the situations are often tense, and there is little comfort in any of it.

This book is a good reminder for us all. Read “War” and remember the true cost of freedom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War.