Sabrina Rutter's Reviews > What's His Is Mine

What's His Is Mine by Daaimah S. Poole

Apr 02, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fiction, i-own, first-reads
Read from April 01 to 02, 2011

I won this book through the firstreads giveaway here on goodreads, but it took so long to actually get this book that I had marked it as never recieved. It was months before the book finally arrived, and when it did the UPS guy just slid it behind my screen door and left. I'm glad it did finally arrive though becuase it was a lot of fun to read! I was in need of a break from the memoirs I have been stuck on since the begining of the year, and this was the perfect book for that.
This is the story of four women looking for love, and security. While I don't agree with all of the characters choices it was a lot of fun to read about their drama. If your looking for a quick entertaining read then this should hit the spot!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's His Is Mine.

04/01/2011 page 1
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Have you gotten this yet Sabrina? I'm thinking it should be here any day but wanted to see what was up with yours. I wish they'd let us know then they're mailed. Maybe I should suggest that in the feedback group. It wouldn't be up to GR though but the sender so maybe it wouldn't be able to be implemented...

Sabrina Rutter I havn't recieved mine yet either. I was thinking that it's taking a really long time. I looked for it all last week and thought for sure it would be here by Monday.
The first book I ever got from first reads took me a month to get, but all the others I recieved pretty much right away. I havn't checked my mail yet today though. I'll let you know if mine is here once I do.

message 3: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I'll let you know too. Most of the time they are pretty fast. Usually very fast actually. But if they weren't shipped right away or something else... Hopefully they'll be here soon. The one I won before the last one didn't come and I marked that and I didn't win for MONTHS. So I am NOT wanting that to happen again!

Sabrina Rutter It wasn't in my mailbox today either.
One good thing is that if it was never sent we'll be able to figure that out when neither of us recieves a copy. I'll be mad though...

message 5: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Mine's not here either. Maybe tomorrow? lol

Sabrina Rutter If it's not here by Friday I'm going to message the person that's doing this giveaway. Have you messaged anyone about it yet?

message 7: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Not about this but I have done it before for the book that never came. Maybe this just shipped late. I just hope they aren't not going to send them. That sucks because last time it took months for me to start winning again.

Sabrina Rutter I hope that doesn't happen to us. I like being able to be an early reviewer. I would have joined that arc tour you told me about, but I don't have the money right now. My book mailing is so behind I want to stick my head in the sand! It's so hard being a single parent with two kids, but especially around the holidays. Right after Christmas I have to do my kids birthdays as they are both in February, and my mom's is too. My mom is on Feb.1, Kaidin is Feb.3, and Kyra is Feb.15. Ahhhhh! LOL:)

message 9: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Oh man, I'm worried like that right now. I hate when stuff is lumped together like that. And it's not like the bills take a break when all that stuff piles up either.
I just learned my cousin is getting married so not only do I have to get an engagement gift/money, but a birdal shower gift AND a wedding present! My Mom's b-day is in a few days and of course we have Christmas coming and you know how it used to be one present but now there are so many people that get presents "from" Julia too so it's almost all doubled. Ugh..
Listen to us complaining. lol You should check the blog out after this is all over though. I can't see it ending anytime soon - people love it.
I'm behind too on my shipping. I caught up last week so I guess I'm not really behind but I'm close to it again because I have like 9 packages to ship out in the nest day or two and it'll probably have to wait til the beginning of this coming week. Oh well, that just doesn't come first!

message 10: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Grrrrr... I want to read this! It's only been two and a half weeks or so by my estimate and it always says 4-6 although it usually doesn't take that long. Hopefully the copies won't be forgotten.
I won a set of dog books on a blog giveaway and they aren't here yet either and the woman told me to expect them right away. Watch me not get them. :(

Sabrina Rutter Maybe things are getting hectic due to the approaching holidays. People are probably trying to get all of their online shopping out of the way so that it arrives on time. I have decided if I don't recieve this one by next Friday I'm marking it as read with a one star rating and feedback saying how I won the book yet never recieved it, but once I read it I might change my review. What do you think?

message 12: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger lol... I think you're serious about wanting to get your book! I'm trying to remind myself to be patient. I get sooo impatient sometimes and it's so pointless. Like I don't have enough books to read. lol
Maybe it won't even be a problem, maybe it'll come any day now!

Sabrina Rutter It just aggrivates me becuase there are so many other giveaways going on right now that I really want to win, and I have no chance to win one until I finish this one. I guess it's free though, and your right I also have loads of other books waiting to be read. I really do have a patience issue lol:D

message 14: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Hey, did you ever talk to the person who created the giveaway? I just sent them a message just a few minutes ago so I'll let you know if and when I hear from them.
I really hope this doesn't go the way that the other book went. I truly believe that's what messed up me winning for that long.
But this account that listed this has over 30 other giveaways and I know GR wouldn't allow them to continue to start them if they weren't following through. So I'm thinking we'll get them. I'm hoping. :-)

Sabrina Rutter I never did message them. I was about to mark the book as never recieved but thought I would wait it out for two more weeks. In two weeks we will have waited six weeks I think. Yeah, let me know what you find out becuase not one person who won this giveaway has recieved their book.

message 16: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I marked mine (we can always change it in the future just FYI) but so far haven't heard back from the giver yet. Hopefully it's just maybe the holiday season. But my luck would be that they'd not send out the 33rd books, mine. lmao

Sabrina Rutter I went ahead and marked mine too. I'm going to state why I have a book on my firstreads shelf without a review, so that someone doesn't assume I recieved a book and never gave a review.

message 18: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger You know, putting something in there is good for another purpose also - maybe then the system will see that it has a "review" and keep the winner of the book in the system to win again. I'm debating rating it also but I'd have to give it a one. I could always change it later.

Sabrina Rutter Your right about the rating. I'm going to go add a star as well just to make sure.

message 20: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger And then enter to win a few more sometime in the next few days. I'm almost willing to bet one or both of us win again within the next 2-4 weeks. I'm interested to see what happens.

Sabrina Rutter Eva I already won another book, so it does put us right back in the drawing when we mark a book that we never recieved!

message 22: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Shut up!!!! Did you enter for books after marking it not received?? Oh, I'm so jealous. Going there right now - now more time to waste! lol

message 23: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I should have bet someone huh? lmao

Sabrina Rutter I enter them almost everyday lol! It's one I entered a while ago though.

message 25: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I meant to ask you - which did you win? I just went through the 10 pages and entered any that looked good to me. But now I have to go through and add the ones I don't want to forget to my to-read list. lol How come everythign takes so damn long?

message 26: by Sabrina (last edited Dec 01, 2010 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sabrina Rutter I won a YA book: The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver! YAY! I'm so excited!!!LOL
I do the same thing, enter the contest, and then add them to my wish list later. It can be time consuming adding all of these books.

message 27: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I know, and I had like 8 pages before I even though to do it so one day I had to do all of those pages! But now I'm caught up so later I just have to do the ones I added last night. I hope I win soon too.
I think the rating and review did it really. Whatever computer system they have up knows when you rate and review a book and I think sticks your name in the hat again.
I entered for quite a few YA books too - and there was a handful that I'll definitely have to get eventually regardless.

message 28: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I won another. lol So even though it wasn't right away it was wayyyy sooner than I waited the one time when I DIDN'T rate and review the win. So we were definitely right - it does matter. Which means, sadly, any wins not recived in the future will have a one star and at least 50 words (to qualify as a review) about what happened and why.
But, this is the one I won which looks interesting, A Beggars Purse. Hopefully I'll get it. LOL Did you get yours yet?

Sabrina Rutter Yeah I've had mine for about a week now, but I have been getting a lot of really bad headaches lately, so I'm only on chapter four:(
I'm hoping to read a little tonight, it's definantly a good book even though it's a little different than what I'm used to reading.
I'm going to go check out the book you won:D

message 30: by Angel (new)

Angel hi i was wondering how i can join the firstreads thing so i can get books?

message 31: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Hi Angel, you don't actually have to join anything because you're already a GR (GoodReads) member. All you have to do is click on 'explore' (at the top of any page) and then a drop-down box will appear and you'll click on 'books'.
Once you get to the new page you'll see tabs to the right side at the top and you'll click on 'giveaways' and you'll be taken to a new page. (Almost there!)
Then, to see ALL of the giveaways at once, instead of just a few, scroll down just a little and click on the link that says 'more giveaways' and you'll be taken to the entire list.
There are a number of different things you can do from that page and you'll see it all as you browse.
Entering for a certain book is pretty easy but if you have any other questions feel free.
You can enter for as many as you want and you'll get a notification if you win (none if you don't.) It's said that rating a reviewing a won book doesn't affect your future chances of winning but I can assure you it does. At least in the case of myself and my friends it has in the past. I usually win within a month or two of rating and reviewing the prevous win.
You don't have to rate it well - just whatever you would do anyway. :)

message 32: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Sabrina, I told you on Dec. 15th A Beggars Purse and guess what? I got a notification this morning, Jan. 4th that I won another - The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates. That's only slightly more than two weeks between wins. When MONTHS went by after the Poole giveaway. It does matter! lol

Sabrina Rutter I won another one quite quickly too, but I don't think it was that fast lol! I still havn't gotten my new win yet, but hopefully it will come soon. I really want this one as it's three books signed by the author. It's the first two books in a trilogy or series and then an ARC of her upcoming childrens book. It was one of those christmas giveaways.

message 34: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger That is cool! I love when they're signed. When I first started here on GR I had any hardly signed books and then I decided to just start collecting them and now I have a decent amount.
I've had some come through PBS signed to someone else and I'm like damn! lol You know, I've had a few authors on here sign or say they would when I got them book after asking them. One guy even sent me two like plaque things that go in the front of the book with his signature. I like that too.

message 35: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger You're never even going to believe this. Why did I find this, unprotected in a plain paper wrapper, in a PILE OF SNOW outside my front door today. Sent from the "publisher".
I've gotten numerous books straight from publishers before and I have never - EVER - seen a book wrapped (or unwrapped I should say) like this.
I don't know if they're always this kind or if this was directly to me for my review. lol Anyway, the last 30 pages or so are a tiny bit wavy because of the little water that got in - but it's not bad at all. I could probably get away with posting it on PBS even. But I already got a copy from there just the other day. Do you need this/want it still?
I can't even honestly say I'll read it.
I think I'm turned off on Poole and Kensignton after all of this. So trashy.

message 36: by Sabrina (last edited Jan 23, 2011 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sabrina Rutter I recieved my copy too lol:)
The reason it was in the snow is becuase it was Fedexed to you and the Fedex guy left it there. The Fedex guy that dropped mine off didn't even knock on my door he just styuck it behind the screen door. The only reason I know he was there was becuase my dog started barking.

I recieved a christmas bundle which was three books, one was a childrens book so no prob., but I wasn't sure if I should mark them all firstreads or just the one I signed up for. Honestly I didn't even know it was a bundle until I got my notice that I had won. The childrens book is doesn't have an ISBN yet so I can't mark it, but I feel like I'll never get to read what I feel like reading for a while. I'm reading It's Called a Breakup Becuase It's Broken right now becuase I need to lol:)
I like the book I won, but I just feel like reading something-else so it's takinf me forever to get through it. I havn't signed up for a firstreads book for a while so I can get through the ones I have....

message 37: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Haha.. that's funny we both got them - after MONTHS. Yeah, I knew it was the bitch ass FedEx man but they could have packaged it better. Hell, they could have packaged it at all really. They tossed the book - unprotected - into an unprotected envelope. Damn, spend the 69 cents on a bubble mailer. Trashy as hell. Had it been packaged correctly it would have been fine after being thrown in the ocean. lol
But okay, I wanted to ask you first before I got rid of it.
That break up book sounds like it may be good. I think I might have to look that up and check it out! lol

Sabrina Rutter Most of the books I win on firstreads are not packaged properly. This really ticks me off, especially when I'm recieving one that's signed! I go through more care of packaging a used book than some of these people do in a collecters edition! It's crazy.

message 39: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Really?! This was the only one so far that I've gotten that was like that. That sucks. At the very least the others have used a bubble mailer, which because of the plastic inside, is actually fairly safe.
I guess they figure it's free, what can people say?

message 40: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee just so you know, I think you can mark the book "not received" and be back in the pool to win more. I think they had to re-send my copy but I wound up getting it eventually.

message 41: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger That is how it's supposed to work but after an extreme amount of testing I can say that it did not work that way with me. I think Sabrina can say the same.
I actually tested it several times with several books and each time it was the same way.

message 42: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I'm curious, why do you think they had to resend it?