K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > The Inimitable Jeeves

bookshelves: humour
Recommended to K.D. by: Tata J
Read from November 08 to 12, 2010 , read count: 1

Hilarious!

If you are bored with all those melodramatic novels like Anita Diamant's The Red Tent or you are starting to get too old for children's and YA books, go for P. G. Wodehouse books. You will feel lighter and refreshed.

This is my 4th audiobook and cruising through the traffic in Manila can be made more bearable if you listen to the funny short stories about pre-war aristocratic British people. This is a story, or short stories, about the wealthy but scatterbrained Bertie Wooster (pronounced: Woos-tah and not Woos-ter, which is one of the reasons why I appreciate listening to audiobooks. I get to know the correct pronounciation ha ha) and his inimitable (meaning: irreplaceable. I actually checked that in the dictionary when I was about to start to play Disc#1) valet (the equivalent of personal assistant in the Philippines), Reginald Jeeves. Jeeves is so endearing not only because of his funny one-liners but also because he always seems to have the solution to his master's problems. His "Yes, Sir", "Indeed, Sir", "Very well, Sir" form part of his being a valet to a wealthy aristocrat and that made me wonder if this master-butler/valet will exist in London nowadays. My first time to wonder about this was when I read Kazuo Ishiguro's Remains of the Day which has this same situation of a butler and his two wealthy masters and so I was excited learning about Jeeves and Woostah in this well-loved series of Jeeves books by P. G. Wodehouse. The comparison between the two books end there because Remains of the Day is a well-loved drama while The Inimitable Jeeves is outright hilarious.

These Jeeves books form part of the two sets of books that made Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse (1881-1975) popular in Britain during the 1920s. He is an acknowledged master of English prose and admired by his contemporaries including Evelyn Waugh (Brideheads Revisited) and Rudyard Kipling (Kim) and by modern writers like Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers series), Salman Rushdie (The Satanic Verses) and Zadie Smith (White Teeth). Journalist and writer Christopher Hitchens commented, "there is not, and never will be, anything to touch him."

Oh well, not really sure about the meaning of "touch" but with the laughters that I had while driving, I am sure there must be some truth in it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inimitable Jeeves.

11/08/2010
16.0% "Funny but some jokes are too British for me. I like the storyteller's voice!"

K.D. Absolutely This is kuya's audiobook. I will lend it to you during the Christmas Party.

K.D. Absolutely Noted.

I have my kuya's copy (book not audio) of Thank You, Jeeves! which is the only 1001 book of Wodehouse in the 2010 version of the list. It used to be 3 in 2006 ha ha. I will read it before the Christmas party so I can pass it on to you.

See kuya's review, 5 stars. Then he has this outstanding instruction to me to buy any Wodehouse book that I will see regardless of the price ha ha!

K.D. Absolutely Why? Did you like his review for Auto-da-Fe?

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Another expression in thank you jeeves is "dickens". What does it mean? Too lazy to check it out. Is thank you jeeves in one of the 6 cds?

message 5: by mark (new)

mark monday if you like this style of writing kd, you might want to check out the Mapp & Lucia novels by e.f. benson. equally hilarious.

K.D. Absolutely No, Thank You Jeeves is a totally different compilation of short stories.

Thanks for the vote, Mark. I will watch out for that!

message 7: by Tintin (new)

Tintin OMG! I've read the books (My Man Jeeves and Right Ho, Jeeves), but it had never crossed my mind to listen to the audiobook. It must be quite an experience (with the British accent an all). I love Jeeves and Bertie. Wodehouse is a comedic genius.

K.D. Absolutely Tintin, yes, it was an awesome experience. Thank you!

message 9: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila Funny books K.D.Read a couple of them. Need to read more!So does the world...

message 10: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Henry, oh yes, Henry. What's the next Jeeve book you plan to read?

message 11: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila Read ,Right Ho,Jeeves and Thank You, Jeeves.Will read next,The Code of the Woosters..

message 12: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely I think I have the first one. I will line it up soon. Thanks, Henry. :)

message 13: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila Starting to read now, Three Men in a Boat.Also have the sequel.Love that weird, British humor!

message 14: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely I have that "Three Men in a Boat" book. It's included in the 501 Must Read Books. I should read it sometime this year. Thanks!