Julia's Reviews > Every Little Thing in the World

Every Little Thing in the World by Nina de Gramont

Oct 27, 10

bookshelves: families, friendship-school, appropriate-for-high-school, realistic-fiction, romance-dating
Read in October, 2010

Sydney is 16 and pregnant. She gets in trouble with her mom the night she decides to tell the father of the baby (she's not close to him & she never does tell him - my first issue). Sydney's mom is frustrated with her & sends her to her dad without Sydney telling her about the pregnancy. Dad sends her on a wilderness adventure so that hopefully she will get focused. Sydney doesn't tell him either. The only person who she tells is her best friend Natalia, who shortly after the book begins finds out her much older sister is actually her biological mother & the people she knows as her parents are actually her grandparents. Sydney insists all through the book that she wants an abortion, but she doesn't really do anything about it.

The book is ultimately about owning your own life and recognizing that your choices have consequences and then facing them rather than just coasting along.

I don't think that Sydney is a good role model or understand all her choices & her worldview. I also don't agree with the ultimate choice she made, but I can't deny that ths is a compelling read, and worth the time I spent on it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Little Thing in the World.