Tosh's Reviews > The Look of Buster Keaton

The Look of Buster Keaton by Robert Benayoun

Sep 17, 12

Jean-Luc Godard carried this particular book around him in his "King Lear" film. That says something right? The only book on Keaton that deals with him as an icon of the avant-garde. And rightfully that is where he belongs. Perhaps the greatest artist in the 20th Century. Period.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Look of Buster Keaton.

message 1: by David (new)

David Interesitng that Godard did that as Benayoun loathed Godard with a white-hot passion.

He was a good writer howver, not only on Keaton but Jerry Lewis and Alain Resnais as well.

Tosh Strange? Why did he hate Godard, and to make it more twisted why did Godard feature this particular book in his film?

message 3: by David (new)

David Benayoun vs. Godard was part of the old Cahiers vs. Positif war. A lot of plain old-fashioned jealousy was involved as Godard's career as a filmmaker skyrocketed while Benayoun's stalled. His Paris n'existe pas is supposed to be pretty good but it was never picked up for U.S. distribution. He died a few years back.

Tosh Besides this Keaton book I don't know Benayoun's work (films or writing) at all. But he really did a great job in putting this book together - including the paintings, photos and great images of Keaton. Do you have this book? If not, try to find it. But I think it's kind of rare now.

message 5: by David (new)

David I used to have a copy but I believe I sold it some time ago. I do have Benayoun's Bonjour Monsieur Lewis however.