Kaliki's Reviews > The Long Run: One Man's Attempt to Regain His Athletic Career-And His Life-by Running the New York City Marathon

The Long Run by Matt Long

Mar 04, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction-challenge, memoirs-biographies, audio, mar-2011, all-time-favorites
Read from February 28 to March 04, 2011

What a story! No, really ..WHAT A STORY! For anyone out there looking to be inspired by pure grit, tenacity, and physical & emotional strength, this is the book to read. While Matt Long may come across to some as an arrogant S.O.B., he is so much more, so much deeper than that. I read this book hoping for inspiration to run, but I came away with inspiration to LIVE LIFE, to not back down from fear or pain, to push myself beyond what I may limit myself to.

A review I read before starting this book said it best, something like this ... while it is highly admirable for Matt to have completed not only a marathon, but also an ironman after his horrific accident, what is at the heart of this book is what he did to get there. The days, weeks and months of re-learning, training, enduring pain, self-doubt, depression, and desparation are the true story of the man here, of the human being .. of who we all are, and can be.

I will not forget this book for a long time, probably ever. When I train and run, and I find myself tired or hurting, I will think of this man's journey, and know that I can bear anything, and SHOULD bear anything, to move forward in this life.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Run.