Hiten Samtani's Reviews > Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust

Trust Agents by Chris Brogan

Oct 27, 10

Read in January, 2010

Social media superstar Chris Brogan and digital media maven Julien Smith take a stab at the very complex issue of 'Trust' in this widely-lauded book. Unfortunately, it failed to resonate with me.

Usually if a book doesn't impress me, I don't write about it. You'll notice that most books I bother to review, I rate them at 4 and above.They've made a difference to me, and I want to share them with others. Scathing reviews are best left to professionals, my time is better spent writing about books that I love and learn from.

However, the incredible popularity of Trust Agents, especially in my own industry, is a little disturbing to me. The ideas in this book make a lot of sense, and if applied, will help bring about positive change. There's no denying that. But what worries me is that this book could have been a list, or a blog post, and been far more effective. It doesn't read like a book. There's no excitement, resonance, or in-depth exploration of themes. The writing is stiff and pulpit-esque. Deeply personal flashes of insight are absent.

Clifford Geetz said "man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun." We need to ensure that our webs are made of spider silk, strong and rich with meaning. Trust Agents is a step in the opposite direction.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trust Agents.

amanda I totally agree.