Jen3n's Reviews > I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38)

I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38) by Terry Pratchett

Jan 27, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult

I still feel weird putting these under the heading of "children’s books." They aren't, really, and never have been. Even when the main character was just a ten year old girl.

So. This is the last of the Tiffany Aching books and the last time we will ever hear of Granny Weatherwax or Nanny Ogg ever again, thanks to Mr. Pratchett's disease. I am given to understand that most of this book was, by necessity, dictated.

And it's not a bad book. Quite good, given the circumstances. But a lot of characters from the Discworld seemed to just show up out of no where. It was like they were saying goodbye. Parts of it felt, when I read them, the way that last scene from the movie Labyrinth felt when I watched it. You know, when Hoggle and Ludo and everyone are telling Sarah goodbye. "If you should need us ..."

Man. I'm sort of tearing up. Hold on a sec.

AND we finally get to find out what the hell happened to Esk. I've been wondering about her for years. No lie. It was nice. It felt tidy and correct.

Parts of this book were really rather rough. It was much darker in places than many of his other books. I mean, any book that starts out with the near-death of a thirteen year old pregnant girl because her father tried to beat her into the ground is going down a rather particular path, if you know what I mean.

Other parts felt a little rushed. Like the love-interest. I'm not spoiling anything to say there is one in this book. Nor am I spoiling anything to say that it felt very sudden.

However, over all, this is an excellent end to the Aching series and a rather good book from my favorite author of Modern fantasy.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38).

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by William Thomas (new)

William Thomas I think he did an amazing job revamping the Discworld series as a whole through the Tiffany Aching character. It really has been a brilliant run.