Star's Reviews > Out

Out by Natsuo Kirino

May 07, 11

bookshelves: favorites, owned, japanese-literature
Read from October 27, 2010 to May 07, 2011

First, I feel like I should say to a lot of people that Japanese fiction isn't for everyone, much less crime-centered fiction. The Japanese don't have a constant need for flashbang and theatrics, and tendencially enjoy more interpersonally-driven and character-driven plots rather than a firm sequence that happens "at a timely pace". If you can't be patient and spend the time getting into the heads of the characters, don't read Japanese fiction. Period.

That said, "Out" is probably one of the most accessible works of the genre that I've ever read -- though it's certainly not for the faint of heart. The only reason it took so long to read was because of my class schedule, which suddenly took a turn for the absurd and left me with several months of no free reading time.

(view spoiler)

In Japan, detective fiction written for and by women is a hugely popular genre, and this is no exception. In Japan, it won the Grand Prix for Crime Fiction and was a finalist in its English translation in 2004 for the Edgar Award. And it's no surprise, as it gives us such an intimate look at the lives of these women who struggle simultaneously with domestic abuse, prostitution, poverty, climbing up the corporate ladder, beauty, weight, self-image and the blood that ends up on their hands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey How is this? It looks interesting.

Star Oh, it's great so far. It can be a little slow for a lot of people, from what I understand, but I quite enjoy it. The eBook copy I have has some wonky page numbering so I haven't updated my page number, but I think I'm about halfway through?