Gina's Reviews > Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard

Breaking Night by Liz Murray

Oct 27, 10

This book will MESS you UP. If you have a heart it will, anyway. And for that, I almost gave it a 5 star, because it's a book that probably *should* mess you up. The author does a good job of making what she experienced growing up with extreme poverty and neglect relatable, while at the same time never letting me believe that I have ever really experienced anything even remotely like it. If that makes sense. I remember being embarrassed about things in school as a kid, so I can relate on some level to the passage where lice are jumping out of her hair onto her desk at school, and the kids are making fun of her for being so dirty. Which means I can also understand why she skips school most of the time, attracting the attention of social services. Even though I grew up able to shower multiple times a day if I wanted to, and loved going to school, and never had to fear that social services would take me from my parents if they saw how we lived. The funny scenes are few and far between, but very well done -- and incredibly rewarding. But nobody should read this book for the funny scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Night.