Tutti Dolci's Reviews > The Wolf and the Dove

The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Nov 24, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle, bodice-rippers, paperback, historical
Read from November 21 to 24, 2010

This one had so much potential for greatness, but it dragged on for what seemed like FOREVER, going from one conflict to another and another. And in the end, the main/original conflict was resolved almost too easily and presented like a gift with a nice little bow which (after the long, drawn out story) felt unrealistic and hastily put together merely because the story had to end. The way I see it, the story was unnecessarily lengthy and a lot the word count could have been better used to create a more reasonable, natural, organic ending.

I also want to mention that the fade-to-black love scenes were snooze-worthy. There was one particular instance where I wasn't even sure that the H/h had even had sex! Reminded me a lot of the eyeroll-worthy fade-to-black love scene in that popular book where the Dawn would be Breaking. So, if you like a little more steam factor in your romance reads, you will be a bit disappointed with this one.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf and the Dove.

11/23
34.0% "I'm diggin' it, but damn, just when I think we're reaching the story's climax, I realize that I've still quite a bit to go."
11/23
50.0% "So, I'm feeling rather invested in the Hero/heroine's story but damn it, the plot seems to be draggin' ass and new conflicts keep popping up. Ugh. Gonna finish this bitch, but right now, it's irritating the hell outta me. Grrr." 7 comments
11/24
80.0% "Eureka! We've finally arrived at something here! Took long enough." 2 comments
11/24
90.0% "*le sigh* Just when one thinks that the story is over, YET ANOTHER conflict is thrown into the mix. Too bad because it takes away from the original story and conflict and just makes it a drag to read."
03/01 marked as: read

SmittenKitten My favorite part of this book was the very first few pages... it started off quite dark. Happy reading!

Karla I'll be eager to know what you think. I want to give KEW another shot (I'm iffy about her) and have my eye on this one.

Tutti Dolci @SmittenKitten: I love dark tales, so this may be right up my alley.

@Karla: This is my first KEW. I've read mixed reviews about her books, but I thought I'd give this one a go because I'm a firm believer that an author can have books that I enjoy along with books that I'd totally DNF. Hopefully this one will be one that I won't DNF. *LOL*

Karla Kasey wrote: "I'm a firm believer that an author can have books that I enjoy along with books that I'd totally DNF."

I'm with you on that! Whenever I see a review that says, "This author can't write a bad book," I get skeptical. :P Every author has at least one bad, godawful book to their credit.

Karla What you said about the ending...that's how it was in Ashes in the Wind. I'm wondering if KEW simply has a problem with endings, sort of like, from what I've seen, Anne Stuart. Because Ashes had a "Oh crap, I've gotta wrap this up!" feel to the last 50 pages or so.

Tutti Dolci Yup. Very much ala Anne Stuart in fact. Although Anne Stuart often just leaves the reader with what I call the Slim Pickins Ending where I'm left thinking "Wait. What? That's it?" At least KEW has given us an ending, albeit an almost too neatly put together ending, especially after all the damn conflict she threw in there.

Karla I'm finding that a lot of older Harlequins are like that. Nothing but conflict for 185 pages and then HEA in the last 2.

Karla It took me about 3/4s of the book to know exactly what you mean with your review. NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

Tutti Dolci Snoozefest at it's finest. And it's too bad because he hero was right up my alley.

message 10: by Vikiff (new) - added it

Vikiff Hello... I adore this book too.. it´s amazing... but I am from Slovakia and here I can´t buy english edition .. it´s a pity... but could you help me? I need English book jacket http://www.walmart.com/ip/464402... If you have a book, could you take a photo of this and send me it on vikiff@azet.sk? PLease, I need it :)

message 11: by Willow (new)

Willow OMG I thought this book was so dull. Woodiwiss spends pages describing a bath. I had a horrible time getting through it.