Giovanni Gelati's Reviews > The Twelfth Imam

The Twelfth Imam by Joel C. Rosenberg

Nov 04, 10

Read from October 27 to 31, 2010

This author has over 2 million copies in print and I haven’t read one of them. The novels that I have missed to date are: The Last Jihad, The Last Days, The Ezekiel Option, The Copper Scroll, Epicenter, and Inside the Revolution. I will back track eventually but for now I had to stay focused on The Twelfth Imam. The novel has so many plots and sub plots one need’s a score card; it is all good stuff though.
Here is the synopsis from the inside jacket of the cover: “Tensions are rising in the Middle East. Iran’s president vows to annihilate the United States and Israel. Israel’s prime minister says someone must hit Iran’s nuclear sites “before it’s too late.” The American president warns against a preemptive strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities and says negotiations are the key to finding peace.
And amid it all, rumors are swirling throughout the region of a mysterious religious cleric claiming to be the Islamic Messiah known as the Twelfth Imam. Word of his miracles, healings, signs, and wonders is spreading like wildfire. CIA operative David Shirazi was born for this moment. He is recruited and sent into Tehran with one objective: use all means necessary to disrupt Iran’s nuclear weapons program, without leaving American fingerprints and without triggering an apocalyptic new war. But time is running out.”
I love the last part, time is running out. It is always running out, that is why it is a thriller. If they had too much time the novel would have more pages and the plotline would sag and lag a bit making it boring and monotonous. I much prefer a few booms and gun shots to politician’s ramblings in the novels I read. But I digress yet again. Rosenberg’s novel was a hot read from the get go. He grabbed me by the collar of my Hawaiian Shirt and didn’t let go. He crawls into the mindset of the Islamic Jihadist with a gusto I haven’t read in a while. The plotline he crafts is gut wrenching, sad, and moving. Their view on life and the quality and quantity of it blow my mind.
The material and timeline in The Twelfth Imam is very current and felt like it was something straight out of today’s newspaper. Joel C. Rosenberg blew me away with his ability to suck me right into the history of Iran, the viewpoints, his characters, and his incredible plotline. The novel has so many different facets to it that it is like a disassembled rubric’s cube in the beginning and it gets put together before our eyes as the novels comes to completion. I am sorry I have not read his other work, but I will get to it. At the minimum this novel should make it to your Shelfari or Goodreads –to read- lists. If you put it there move it to the top though.
What are you reading today? Check us out and become our friend on Shelfari & Linkedin. Go to Goodreads and become our friend there and suggest books for us to read and post on. You can also follow us on Twitter, and the Gelati’s Scoop Facebook Fan Page. Did you know you can shop directly on Amazon by clicking the Gelati’s Store Tab on our blog? Thanks for stopping by today; We will see you tomorrow. Have a great day. http://www.gelatisscoop.blogspot.com

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twelfth Imam.

10/30/2010 page 129
10/31/2010 "Look for our post on Tuesday!"
show 1 hidden update…