Luke Zwanziger's Reviews > At the Mountains of Madness

At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: dark-fiction, sci-fi
Read from October 26, 2010 to April 26, 2011

I finally got around to finishing the audio book version of this (free on archive.org). This is certainly a "hard" sci-fi fantasy. I appreciate the dedication it reading like a scientific accounting of an expedition. Lovecraft knows how to spin language and root his story in a scientific world.

There were moments where the story became a little clunky, and I dropped out of the story with long expositions leaving me wondering "how did you suddenly learn all of this about the Cthulu from murals and ancient languages you just saw?"

Over all, an interesting piece of culture that I am glad to have partaken in. I am amazed at the modern continuation of the Lovecraftian approach to horror and creatures. It is by this standard, most often different from the kernel essence of this story. It is certainly a quiet horror and I appreciate its sensibilities in that manner delving into the psychological affect of this "unnamed terror" and "indescribable horror." Overall, didn't blow me away and it took me forever to finish. Probably a story for those curious about Lovecraft and his 1920's style, but nothing that will actively engage many readers from our modern era.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At the Mountains of Madness.