Jessica Stant's Reviews > Princess of Glass

Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George

Oct 26, 10

I really enjoyed George's other two fairy tale retellings, but this one fell short...very short. It is a sequel to "Princess of the Midnight Ball" and it follows younger sister Poppy. It is based on the Cinderella story (as one might guess from the title). The writing is lack-luster at best and I was completely put off when the main character, who is a princess and has always been raised a princess thinks "I never turn down free food". Seriously? Why on earth would a pampered princess ever have cause to even consider that food wouldn't be free, or might be hard to come by? George kept throwing in little modern cliches like that throughout the entire book. And these attempts to modernize her characters made them shallow and trite. The plot was very shaky and the ending was extremely anti-climactic. I was really disappointed in this book and I hope if George writes any more of these fairytale re-tellings she will first take some time to ponder what made the first two good and go back to it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of Glass.