Lauren's Reviews > One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies

One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies by Sonya Sones

Oct 26, 2010

did not like it

I really don't understand why young adult authors think that they have to make their characters clones of Holden Caulfield to create an interesting, worth-while story. In my personal opinon, it usually just turns into a whiny mess. To make matters worse, when the author compares their protagonist character to Holden directly in the text, the book turns into an automatic cheese-fest.
From the start, when poor little Ruby was whining on about "not being depressed", nope "not at all", I knew this was going to be one of those cliche, boring stories that I have heard so many times before, even in real life. If I can hear it from everyone firsthand, why on earth would I want to even waste my precious time reading through pages of teenage angst? I can just sit at the lunch table for all of that.
This book, in whole, without even further continuing on in this long rant, is written in such a way that makes me feel like the author just wasn't even trying- as if this was a piece that was written overnight. It lacks originality, has an extremely weak plot, and while the protagonist would be considered dynamic, her "epiphany" moment was weak. Overall, this was a huge letdown considering how stoked the person was who recommended it to me.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies.

03/30 marked as: read