Rane's Reviews > When Harry Met Molly

bookshelves: regency-napoleonic-era, pure-fluff, historical

Funny.
Cute.
Fast-Paced.

I could on …but I wont. This is how When Harry Met Molly turned out to be. Not one to buy a book without first checking it out, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this fun romp of a book.

Lord Harry Traemore is a happy bachelor, content to play the bachelor in pursuit of pleasure. That is until him and his friends are named by the Prince Regent as Impossible Bachelors and forced into a crazy wager. The bachelor with the best mistress whom wins Most Delectable Companion gets a free year of unmarried bliss, and Harry isn’t worried on bit, he’s got this wager in the bag..that is until his mistress takes off with another leaving him without a mistress, stuck with his foe and if he doesn’t get one soon, forfeits the wager and must marry ASAP!

Harry’s “foe” Lady Molly Fairbanks is hot-headed, a total romantic and is running away from home to get married to her father’s assistant. She’s tried of being a caged bird, after a Christmas poem when she was a child, proclaiming her love for Harry’s older brother, her seeing her sister and Harry kiss..well gets Harry and Molly in some hot water. But that was years ago and she wants to taste freedom, that is until Harry and his mistress shows up, and her “beloved” runs off with Harry’s mistress leaving her stuck with Harry and his wager. So when Harry strikes up his own wager with Molly that if she plays his fake mistress and wins the wager, he’ll help her find her the very best husband. It sounds like a great plan that is until both start fighting off a sudden attraction between the two, fighting off a villainous Sir Richard, and making friends with other mistress. This wager leads Harry and Molly to something they didn’t think would happen, them falling in love with each other!

This book was a total farce, and that being said readers “Suspend Your Disbelief at the Door” cause some of the antics that happen in this book will having you laughing like with Molly taking up a dare by the other mistress to go streaking in front of the house, to a few eye rolling moments. This book is not one to take seriously it’s just a good old funny comedy HR. The characters are likeable with both craving the freedom their family denied them after a dumb but small incident. Harry isn’t what he appears to be, and through the week starts to open his eyes about things in his life he’s done. Molly is a romantic, and wants to be free to live her life and not be treated like she’s still a child by her father. These two do some growing up through the week finding who they truly are but, if you’re looking for more depth, you’re not going to find it. It’s not that the characters are shallow, their pretty normal and loveable, book is very much driven by the antics that both Molly and Harry get themselves into, and not by them so they doesn’t leave a lot of character growth or development. The romance between the two is funny and sexy and the story is fast-paced once you get into the book. The secondary characters that shine the most are the other mistresses, while the rest of Impossible Bachelors are pretty much shadowed in the background, with more about them later on in the books?
The author did a great job of making it non-gross with the Bachelors and Mistresses, it felt more like a party with friends then some big sex orgy party.

This may not be for all readers, but if your looking for a good laugh by a debut author, and fun romantic comedy- look no further then When Harry Met Molly
29 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Harry Met Molly.

10/27/2010 page 67
16.0% "Molly sat at the dressing table and applied Fiona's face power and then rouge to her cheek bones. After another moment's work, Molly was done. She couldn't help but gasp at the image in the mirror. Gone was the Grecian look she so-favored- and there was absolutely no trace of the milkmaid look she preferred on Sundays.
Now she resembled a ... a real tart." 4 comments
10/27/2010 page 161
37.0% "nothing says you got more balls more then going streaking" 2 comments
10/28/2010 page 329
76.0% ""In secret we met
In silence I grieve
That thy heart could forget,
Thy spirit deceive.
If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee?
With silence and tears."
-Lord Byron" 6 comments
10/28/2010 page 432
100.0% "FUN! Review soon!"

Dina Great review, Rane. This book sounds interesting, but I wonder if I'll be able to suspend my disbelief to the point of having fun with all those mistresses popping up in the story. Hmmm, let me sleep on that...

Rane Dina wrote: "Great review, Rane. This book sounds interesting, but I wonder if I'll be able to suspend my disbelief to the point of having fun with all those mistresses popping up in the story. Hmmm, let me sle..."

Thanks Dina, the mistresses are pretty funny, and end up more like best girl friends :)
This book will be a hit for JQ fans or Dare's Goddess of the Hunt

Dina Rane wrote: "This book will be a hit for JQ fans or Dare's Goddess of the Hunt"

Sold! *adds book to Wish List*

Ally72 Yah! I have been looking forward to this one and I am so glad to hear you liked it, Rane!!!

Shawna Great review, Rane! Sounds like a fun read for when I'm in the mood for something light and fluffy. What's the heat level? Mild like Julia Quinn or steamier like Tessa Dare and Lisa Kleypas?

Emma Great review... I might be tempted after all ;-)

Rane Ally wrote: "Yah! I have been looking forward to this one and I am so glad to hear you liked it, Rane!!!"

Thanks Ally! It's a real fun read- I hope you enjoy it! :D

message 8: by Rane (last edited Oct 30, 2010 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Shawna wrote: "Great review, Rane! Sounds like a fun read for when I'm in the mood for something light and fluffy. What's the heat level? Mild like Julia Quinn or steamier like Tessa Dare and Lisa Kleypas?"

Thanks Shawna! Exactly! This isn't a heavy read at all.

Rane Emmanuelle wrote: "Great review... I might be tempted after all ;-)"

Thanks Emmanuelle! Gald I could help ;D

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Rane wrote: "This book will be a hit for JQ fans or Dare's Goddess of the Hunt"

Sold! *adds book to Wish List*"

*LOL* Now the characters don't have the depth of TD, but their fun like JQ (just a small warning for ya ;D)

message 11: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina OK, thanks for the warning, Rane. I'll keep that in mind when I'm in the mood for some "brainless", fun read. :)

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "OK, thanks for the warning, Rane. I'll keep that in mind when I'm in the mood for some "brainless", fun read. :)"

Aww you know you love the fluffy romances to~ *huggles*

message 13: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Yes, I do! I just need to be in the right mood for them. :)

Shawna Rane wrote: "Thanks Shawna! Exactly! This isn't a heavy read at all.
The heat level is more along the lines of Dare and Kleypas (there is also a non graphic self-pleasure scene with Harry- that was eye rolling kinda scene- and alot of heavy foreplay) "

Sounds good for when I need something light and fun. Thanks, Rane!

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Shawna wrote: "Rane wrote: "Thanks Shawna! Exactly! This isn't a heavy read at all.

Welcome Shawna:D

message 17: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane LethalLovely~I'll Wrap My Wire Around Your Heart wrote: "Great review, Rane!"

Thanks LL! *hugs*

message 18: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review Rane!!! The title sounds like "When Harry met Sally" so this book definitely sounds interesting!

message 19: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Rane!!! The title sounds like "When Harry met Sally" so this book definitely sounds interesting!"

Thank you Ronyell!
Yeah, the author seemed to have taken her titles from other movies, songs and the such

message 20: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Nice. review. I've been on the rocks on whether to get this one or not.

♡Karlyn P♡ Great review, I will need to read this one soon.

message 22: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Melissa wrote: "Nice. review. I've been on the rocks on whether to get this one or not."

Thanks Melissa, this is pure fluff/sexy read and is great after a tough or dark read

message 23: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane KarLynP wrote: "Great review, I will need to read this one soon."

Thank you Karlyn! This was a delightful surpise!

message 24: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl Great review, sounds like a fun book!

message 25: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Cheryl wrote: "Great review, sounds like a fun book!"

Thank you Cheryl!

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan Great review Rane, though this doesn't sound to be my type of book, if only from the title. Sometimes I find it very hard to suspend belief while reading a book and this sounds like it would be one of them.

message 27: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Susan wrote: "Great review Rane, though this doesn't sound to be my type of book, if only from the title. Sometimes I find it very hard to suspend belief while reading a book and this sounds like it would be one..."

LOL! Thanks Susan, yeah this book may not be everyone's cuppa of tea, it's pretty fluffy and cute

Juliana Philippa Great review, Rane! Some things about the book I loved, and others just really brought the rating down for me. Totally agree with you on the suspension of disbelief; it was a light and fun read for the most part, but that final (or technically, second-to-final) scene was just waaaaay too farcical for me. It got to the point of being ridiculous IMO and could have definitely used some tightening.

message 29: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc awesome review, rane!! this sounds super cute!

message 30: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Juliana wrote: "Great review, Rane! Some things about the book I loved, and others just really brought the rating down for me. Totally agree with you on the suspension of disbelief; it was a light and fun read for..."

Thanks Juliana! *nods* Plus the villain I felt got off way to light for me, then again it was all over the place, but then again I think those final scenes were pretty much all over, it was a cute ending but like you said needed some tightening up

message 31: by Rane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rane Angelc wrote: "awesome review, rane!! this sounds super cute!"

Thanks Angelc! It's super cute and total fluff ;D