Jane Davis's Reviews > The Insider

F_50x66
Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: first-reads-book
Read in June, 2011

I received this first reads book sometime back. I have never read legal fiction and thought this would be a good time to start. Mr. Hirsch's writing is smooth from the first line and clips right along. In the space of one day corporate attorney Will Connelly: sees a colleague fall to his death, maybe set-up as the killer, takes over merger plans, make partner, gets drunk, picks up a Russian woman in a bar, sleeps with her and gets threatened by the Russian mob. I'm thinking "how dumb can you get" and reminds me of some corporate lawyers I sold airline tickets to, until finally on page 50 "he had the growing realization that he had been had".

Before long "mafiya" types start drifting through his life. Not just Katya the femme-fatale, Yuri and Nikolai, the want-to-bes but Valter whom thy want to impress, and Boka the Godfather. Throw in a terrorist named Aashif. As if the mafiya and their demand for information about the merger of Juniper/Pearl were not enough Will is now visited by the SEC and DOJ with veiled accusations that he is the source of the on-going leak of inside information. The SFPD haven't given up on him either for the suspicious death of Ben Fisher.

Will believes he is the leak, which I can't understand because the bad guys have been getting information way before Will came into the merger. He also believes something is not right with the merger when Claire Rowland in Due Diligence, I take to be a research department, comes up with something strange. Will has an ally in the company until she is voted out for not being through and efficient. Something is wrong in this law firm.

When Will puts all the peaces together in his mind and forms a strategy the action already moving at a fast pace zips through. Will Connelly, at the start of the book is a young lawyer who has "made it", he is partner in a prestigious law firm, has an expensive car and condo and is at the top of his world. At the end he has lost all that but is a strong, happy, resourceful, mature man.

I was reading this book on lunch breaks at first but this should be read at one one sitting because Mr. Hirsch takes you on a fast toboggan ride with all the twists and turns.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Insider.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrystal (new)

Chrystal Thanks for the partial review - it gives me an idea of what I have to look forward to - I won a pocket paperback copy of the book; but it may be a while before I am able to get around to reading it, I have a few books in my que to be read and reviewed.