Stacia (out of inspiration)'s Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, dystopia-or-apocalyptic, science-fiction
Read from November 27 to 30, 2011

3.5 stars. If I really want to be fair, I should probably go a full 4 stars because I liked the story. In fact, I think this book was executed so much better than Matched, Wither and Uglies were (bringing up these three over other dystopia books because they all have similar plot points somewhere that parallel this book).

In fact, I will even give the fast, hard, and all-consuming love a major pass because I think in this particular instance, to love would be to rebel and it's in our nature to be curious and pursue what we're denied. Anything that is held back from us can consume our thoughts and desires to the point where it becomes the most desirable thing on earth. In this case, it was love, touch, and human connection. If we weren't able to have it, would we not crave it upon having our first taste?

The only thing really holding me back from going the full 4 stars is that when I read dystopia, I want to get hyped. HYPED I TELL YOU. GET ME PUMPED UP. We're going to THROWDOWN ON THIS BITCH ASS GOVERNMENT!!! So much of the plot revolved around the day to day life and the falling in love (again, sort of understandable with this particular plot) that I didn't get any of that heart-pumping nervousness until the very end - which did, in fact, rock. Pretty hard, actually.

The start was a bit slow, but once the story got moving I found myself wrapped up in this author's writing style. The wordy descriptions didn't bother me the way they did in Uglies. At least I wasn't as bored while reading the book and did enjoy the love story more than I expected to. It was kind of adorable if I'm going to be honest here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mairead Interested to see what you think of this. The prose is just gorgeous, but...there's just something....I'll see what you think

Stacia (out of inspiration) That sounds a bit scary!

Mairead No, it's a great book, I just had a disconnect with it because nothing really happened, but the prose was lyrical, so it saved it. I had just read Battle Royale and at the time, too, so that was very much action packed, which probably affected how I reacted to it.

Stacia (out of inspiration) I tend to struggle a bit with books that tend to be more words than action, like how Shiver was. This makes me a little nervous now.

Battle Royale, hah. I saw the movie. Is the book worth the read?

Mairead Loved it. The characterisation of the evil girl character was flawless. I almost sympathised with her, and she was murdering people left, right and centre. :)

Rachael Keep reading :)

Mairead Read it. I actually think you'll like it :)

Maree  ♫ Light's Shadow ♪ I'll be interested to what you compare it to (if you do) as I've seen a lot of comparisons to other books as well as done my own (don't cheat and look at my review first! ;)

message 9: by Stacia (out of inspiration) (last edited Nov 30, 2011 11:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (out of inspiration) Done! I liked the book better than I was expecting and had to waver between 3 and 4 stars, but much of the book was 4 star for me, so that's good. I think the next one is going to be even more exciting.

Rachael Yay :) So glad you liked it :)

message 11: by Stacia (out of inspiration) (last edited Dec 01, 2011 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (out of inspiration) I did! Maree, you and I had some similar thoughts. I actually saw more of Uglies in this book than even Matched.

message 12: by D.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.G. Glad you liked it.

I was scared shitless from the beginning because I kept thinking of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (the movie) which made me cry for days.

Maree  ♫ Light's Shadow ♪ I wonder if all the writers went to the same dystopian writing seminar. ;)

Stacia (out of inspiration) Hah. Maybe. :)

D.G. I saw that movie so many years ago and I don't remember much. :(

Vanessa Question. i want to buy the series. It seems like there are 5 books if i am correct. But there are 3 books head lining titles; delirium, pandemonium and requiem. The other two (Hannah and Annabel), are those just companion books? Do I need to read them in order to keep up with the story?

message 16: by Stacia (out of inspiration) (last edited Oct 07, 2012 10:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (out of inspiration) I've only read the first one, so I can't really say. I had asked a friend about Hannah (1.5) and she said that you don't have to read it, but the viewpoint does add something to the story.

As of right now, only 1, 1.5, and 2 are out anyway, so it's probably not too hard to fit in 1.5 between the first two, since it's short.