Dav'ne (Davney)'s Reviews > Kristin Lavransdatter

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset

Dec 17, 10

Read in December, 2010

12-17-10 11:05 p.m. FINISHED! VOILA! I was late for work this morning as I had to finish the last 34 pages; and then a tanker was overturned on 99 so we had to go all the way south to Tukwila, around to I5 to get to work! I got there at 9:45, but it was all worth it! YAY!

12-17-10 - Update: On page 1087, 34 more to go. My next venture into Sigrid Undset's novels will be "Jenny"...have any of you read it?

12-10-2010 - Update: On Page 911...213 more pages. I love this book! Just learned that Sigrid Undset (the author) was the first woman to win the Nobel Prize in Literature ever (1928).

As if Don Quixote isn't long enough! I've just started this 1124 page Norwegian medieval trilogy by Nobel Prize winner Sigrid Undset.

A lovely book...the descriptions of the Norwegian countryside are so beautiful that I have to re-read many. Kristen herself is a complex character and one wants to shake her for being foolish and yet, there's something about her...

Great translation! I'd just as soon sit and read all day, but that is not possible, so I dip into it each night for an hour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kristin Lavransdatter.

11/28/2010 page 771
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Are you reading the newest translation? A couple of years ago an American women, I think from Seattle completed a new translation that was supposed to be a BIG improvement over the existing version. I tried the older version years ago and couldn't do it. Too long and plodding.

Dav'ne (Davney) JaGun wrote: "Are you reading the newest translation? A couple of years ago an American women, I think from Seattle completed a new translation that was supposed to be a BIG improvement over the existing version..."

2005, she lives in Albuquerque and has an MA in Scandnavian Studies from UW-Madison. We'll see.

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I read this about 30 years ago - loved it.

Dav'ne (Davney) Good to have another thought on this; so far so good.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane You're almost finished!! What an accomplishment! Hope it's been inspiring...
Have missed you at church, but know that rest must be a priority.
See you soon.

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane Congratulations on this big accomplishment. That translator must be fabulous. I can't imagine getting through it based on my much earlier attempt!

message 7: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I loved it 30 years ago - even with the old translator.

Dav'ne (Davney) So Jane, maybe you should have read it in English rather than Norwegian!