Jen3n's Reviews > The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)

The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30) by Terry Pratchett

Oct 26, 10

bookshelves: humor, fantasy, children-s-book

I suppose this is technically a "children's" book, and I certainly bought it from the children's section of a book store, but Terry Pratchett doesn't seem to know how to dumb-down, so to speak. The only difference between this book and some of his "adult" Discworld novels is that the main character in this one in only nine years old. Oh, and I suppose there were less of the footnotes.

But people die in this book, you see. And there is scary stuff, and true lessons and wisdom and an excellent, complicated moral. And a real story. And a great many other things that most grown-up authors don't think a kid is capable of handling.

So it's a good book. I liked it. It's the sort of fairy-tale-on-its-ear that Mr Pratchett does very well. I look forward to reading the rest of the Tiffany Aching (the afore-mentioned nine year old) series.

Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30).

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris Youngblood I think that some of the things you mention are what make this a truly good "children's" book, because sometimes the lessons it contains are exactly the ones that children need to hear. "Life is not a song, sweetling," and whatnot.