Bonnie's Reviews > Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears

Ghost Rider by Garth Ennis

Oct 26, 10

bookshelves: comic-book, graphic-novel, horror, western, fiction
Read on October 25, 2010, read count: 1

Awful. Just awful. I read this for work and hated it. The artwork is dark (as in difficult to see dark) and the transitions are painfully bad. The action I would think would be in the panel isn't there, often leaving big gaps in the storyline. The artwork that is there leaves me totally confused. The story was gruesome for the sake of being gruesome and felt like a stereotypical horror film, with characters getting picked off one-by-one in a new and disgusting way each time. And though I thought there was little in the way of character development and interaction, there was a moment towards the end that left me beyond confused (does that move me to the realm of flabbergasted? I don't know). Oh main character,Travis Parham, has slept with a prostitute he just met, when they are dragged outside by the bloodthisty villains. He's had his arm torn off and the town is being slaughtered. As Travis and Jenny the prostitute are slowing creeping away from this, he's trying to convince her to take his money and run away to California (which she earlier expressed an interest in). Jenny becomes this noble figure, carrying Travis and refusing to leave his side, to the exchange of "Oh, Jenny--!" and tender embraces. Why do these characters even care about each other? Of course, then sweet Jenny's head appears to be town off (it was really impossible to tell because of the artwork). But why would the brief exchange of money and sex lead to this sort of a relationship, particularly when the story has stressed how hard and unforgiving the frontier is? I suppose if I liked the Ghost Rider story in any way, maybe this would've appealed to me more. Maybe. But instead it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Ugh!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Rider.