Jaclyn's Reviews > Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the Lost Techniques of the Old Masters

Secret Knowledge by David Hockney

Oct 30, 2010

bookshelves: currently-reading

What a fascinating book. There are some grumpy reviews about it around the web, but I think a little controversy just adds to the mystery. The author demonstrates with many fascinating examples how artists may have used lenses to project images to aid in their painting. I've never thought so much about HOW art is created, and I've also never really thought about this potential bridge between photography and film and painting and drawing. I've never really been a huge art museum person, much as I wish I was, but this book was so compelling and thought-provoking that it made me want to run right off to NYC to stroll art museums ponder the concepts set forth. Although I need someone else to read it so we could discuss it together as we stroll! Even if it's not true (although I think the evidence is pretty compelling) I must thank this book for making me think more deeply about art than I ever have before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Knowledge.